Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Earthquake (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/earthquake-345604/)

cheribob Apr 18th, 2008 01:55 AM

Earthquake

Who felt the earth quake?

I felt it in Chicago.

cheribob Apr 18th, 2008 02:01 AM

0439 am cst 5.4 magnitude.

mdwest Apr 18th, 2008 03:05 AM

Madison here. I didn't feel a thing but my husband swears he did.

ms_go Apr 18th, 2008 03:08 AM

We're in the western suburbs. Interestingly, both my daughter and I woke up right at about 4:40 (well before the alarms go off), but I wasn't aware of it until I saw the report on the Trib site.

SandyBrit Apr 18th, 2008 03:43 AM

cheribob:

Yes I am across the river from St. Louis and woke up the shaking and rattling of the house. I immediately thought of an earth quake.

Sandy

annesherrod Apr 18th, 2008 04:06 AM

I was very startled!!! Live in St Louis - I thought it was strong winds at first with my windows opened - but quickly relaized it was indeed an earthquake!

Anonymous Apr 18th, 2008 04:19 AM

Hmmm, I wonder whether the New Madrid fault is waking up. Sure hope not!

Anonymous Apr 18th, 2008 04:20 AM

Meant to include this link to info about the New Madrid earthquakes, which were long ago but some of the most powerful ever felt in the US.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...hp#december_16

Chicago_Heather Apr 18th, 2008 04:38 AM

Yep, got a huge quake up call in the high rise. The whole place shook and knocked a lot of things off the wall and everything is falling out when I open the cabinets.

I grew up right near the New Madrid fault in Southern Illinois and my parents were up when I called at 4:45 or so. Drove their pets crazy, but they haven't found any damage to the house.

Oddly, when I got to work early (couldn't fall back asleep), no one else even felt it ... they think I'm exaggerating. But, maybe it's the higher up on my floor and near the lake? Weird.

Anonymous Apr 18th, 2008 05:47 AM

Or maybe you're a just lighter sleeper.

ilana25841 Apr 18th, 2008 06:21 AM

Felt a little rumble in suburban Detroit.

skopman Apr 18th, 2008 06:57 AM

I felt it here in Chicago too! It didn't wake me up, so I think if I had been sleeping I wouldn't have noticed things shaking at all.

FainaAgain Apr 18th, 2008 07:23 AM

I think the proper greeting today is: HEY, MAN, WHAT’S SHAKING?

5.4 is a rather strong one, can’t go unnoticed, but hopefully not strong enough for damages.

Is this the one I brought to Chicago from San Francisco? ;)

NeoPatrick Apr 18th, 2008 07:26 AM

Gee, ilana, what does that mean? There are lots of "rumblings" in Detroit all the time -- but most have nothing to do with earthquakes! LOL

LoveItaly Apr 18th, 2008 07:32 AM

Hello all. I have read that there are no reports of deaths or injuries, I sure hope that is true!

Evidently the EQ is now said to be a 5.2, but that is still a strong EQ.

By the way, your EQ happened on the 102nd Anniversary of the Great Quake in San Francisco.

MaliaBrody Apr 18th, 2008 09:39 AM

oh wow aint that something on the anniversary

carolyn Apr 18th, 2008 12:21 PM

We were awakened in Louisville when a wooden candle holder with a glass globe made quite a tinkling noise on the dresser (5:39 am EDT). We had the windows open, too, and thought at first a bird had flown into the screen.

BetsyinKY Apr 18th, 2008 01:12 PM

We were talking about this at lunch today at school. We're in the southeastenmost corner of KY and two of the teachers said they felt it this morning. I was sound asleep and didn't even notice until I heard about it on the radio.

luvtravl Apr 18th, 2008 02:16 PM

Felt it in Tennessee (between Nashville and Knoxville). Woke my husband up and made him get in the doorway. He thought I was dreaming.

esm Apr 18th, 2008 02:58 PM

I'm in central IL and I woke up when the windows started rattling. We had aftershocks mid morning. Fortunately no damage reported; everyone is excited!