Search

Everglades question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everglades question

At the tail end of an upcoming trip to Florida, we will have one full day in Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale. I know there's plenty to do in the area and I am trying to decide whether to try to get a glimpse of the Evergades area.

The first part of the trip will include two nights in Key West and a night in Coconut Grove.
I have never been to this part of the state so I don't know whether we might be able to get a taste of the Everglades without devoting a whole day. We can always skip it for another time but thought someone who knows the area well might have a suggestion. Thanks!
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 05:39 PM

As you correctly note, to go from Fort Lauderdale to the Everglades in one day would require as much time driving between the two places as you would spend at the national park. IMHO, this is too much effort for what you would experience -- and I love going to this place. Better to wait till you can give it the full day it deserves. There's stuff to see in the Ft Lauderdale area that will easily take up a full day, without spending several hours of driving.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 05:44 PM

This is between Key West and Ft. Lauderdale:

http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/parks...ades_trail.asp
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts, PaulRabe. I had a feeling the Everglades Park was too much to fit it.

Michael, that Southern Glades Trail is the kind of thing I was wondering about. When you say it is between Key West and Fort Lauderdale, is it before or after Miami?
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 08:30 PM

Try looking for it on Google map.
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks -- looks possible on the way coming or going.
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 04:04 AM

You absolutely can fit in some time in the Everglades on your way to or from the Keys.

From FLL, take the turnpike towards Florida City. The turnpike ends at a traffic light. You are now in Florida City. There is a Shell gas station on the far right corner. Turn right towards Everglades National Park. You can always make a quick stop at the Shell for water, gas, snacks. There's no food concession in this part of the Everglades so bring along supplies.

First stop- Robert is Here Fruit Stand http://www.robertishere.com/
You'll see the building ahead of you. You need to make a left turn here. But pull in to Robert is Here on your way into or out of the Everglades - warning, many people end up needing to stop here for a milkshake going into AND out of the Everglades! Lots of fresh local fruits and veggies (the strawberries in January are the best!) Also exotic tropical fruits. But who wants fruit when you can have a fresh fruit milkshake - we like strawberry key lime.

Everglades National Park - Visitor Center http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/coedirections.htm
Your first stop in the Everglades is the visitor center. It does a good job of describing this unique environment. There's a little gift shop. You might want to buy the card identifying the birds. Don't linger too long here. The good stuff is just ahead.

Everglades National Park - Anhinga Trail http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/anhinga-trail.htm
Leave the visitor center and drive through the park gates. You are now passing through the sawgrass prairie. The land is sloping gently and a river of water 4 inches deep is moving from Lake Okechobee to Florida Bay. Just 4 miles from the park entrance, you'll see the turnoff on your left to Royal Palm Visitor Center. Park there and get ready for an amazing experience - Anhinga Trail. This .5 mile boardwalk through the sawgrass marsh will show you alligators, other reptiles, birds galore and fish. Check the schedule for a ranger led tour. Take your camera for some amazing photos. You can push a stroller easily on this trail. Maybe you'll see an anhinga bird catch and eat a fish! Gumbo Limbo Trail is also here and takes you through a hardwood hammock (forest).

Airboat ride. www.everglades.com If you want to add an airboat ride to the adventure, stop at this place. Airboats are fun and loud - not necessarily a way to see wildlife.

Have fun!
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Jumping onto your thread.

Do you need to bring insect repellant at any time of the year for the Everglades?
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 11:45 AM

> Do you need to bring insect repellant at any time of the year?

www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

In the summer, yes. If you will be walking in heavy vegetation, yes.
I'd have some in my car at any time. Insect repellent is one of those things for which it's far better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much keymom. The fruit shakes sound fabulous, too. I am leaving in less than two weeks so getting serious about this!
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM

I assume you'll always need bug spray in the 'Glades. I put it on before getting in the car so I don't have any "gap in coverage."
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

keymom-- if we decide to go to the Everglades on our one full day in Hollywood, about how long would you estimate it would take to drive over, see the visitor center and take the Anhiga Trail?
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 11:09 AM

I would allow 5 hours. From Hollywood, you'll spend 1 hr and 15 or 30 min each way. Don't spend much time at the visitor center even if tempted. You could stop back if you have time on the way out.
From Hollywood, I would think about Shark Valley. It's a little closer (maybe 15 min each way).
Either way, I would pack a lunch.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks that helps a whole lot! And I wouldn't have thought to pack the bug spray either...
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 08:19 PM

Absolutely you can see the Everglades from Florida, and I think it's totally worth it.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 02:05 PM

bookmarking
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 04:11 PM

Duh. I meant to say that you can see the Everglades from Ft. Lauderdale.