Durango, CO to Monument Valley

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durango, CO to Monument Valley

I'm staying in Durango, CO in May and am considering a one-night/two-day side trip to Monument Valley. Map Quest tells me that the distance from Durango to Monument Valley is 180 miles, but takes 5 hours. Are the roads bad, unpaved, clinging to cliffs, etc? I was surprised the drive would take this long and would appreciate any advice if someone has done this drive. I need to decide soon if it's worth the effort. Thanks
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:35 PM

i did it in the summer. sorry i don't recall how long it took--but i don't remember the roads being particularly steep--monument valley is fabulous--you need to see a sunset /sunrise in monument valley at least once in your life//i found durango fairly touristy--but probably very pretty outside of town
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Actually, the roads aren't bad unless you decide to take the route via Hovenweep, and even that only has a few hundred unpaved yards. I'd guess about 4 hours for the drive. The speed limits will be from 45 to 65mph. You will be slowed down going through a few towns. The roads between Durango and Cortez can be winding, but there are no scary dropoffs. I wouldn't make the drive between dusk and dawn because the roads are desolate, and there are so many animals crosing the highways at night.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll be able to make a more informed decision. It may be too much driving for me within only a 24-hour period.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:39 PM

I think that estimate is conservative, allowing time for stopping, etc.
I don't think I took much more than 3 hours and 30 minutes. The roads are paved, but you do need two lane passing skills.

Of course, it depends on just where you begin timing. If you drive through Durango just as the train is leaving, traffic can be thick.

But I am confident that a competent driver can average faster than 35 mph over those roads.

There is no real barrier to your progress like steep passes.