Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dupont Circle Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dupont-circle-hotels-283988/)

mattdr Jan 31st, 2003 06:16 PM

Dupont Circle Hotels

Looking for info. on staying around Dupont Circle. Jury's Washington Hotel seems to be closest to Metro, which is how we are getting around, heard that rooms are small. Radisson-Barcelo Hotel looks farther away from Metro, rooms are larger. My wife and I are staying a week and would like a refridge in room, but could comp. for access to Metro. Any one used Embassy Suites? Does it make that big of diff. for access to Metro? Any suggestions or comments on Dupont Circle .

Flyboy Jan 31st, 2003 07:42 PM

Radisson Barcelo has some of the largest rooms you will find anywhere, but I don't know about the refrigerator situation. It's a good two blocks (maybe three?) to the metro station, but a pleasant walk. The Dupont Circle area is an excellent area to stay with lots of activity, restaurants, shops, etc. Hilton Embassy Row is in the same neighborhood and sometimes has decent rates. I haven't used the Embassy Suites. There is an extended stay type of place right across from the Barcelo and maybe someone here can recall the name. That might be the kind of thing you're looking for.

EmilyC Feb 1st, 2003 09:34 AM

I have stayed in the Dupont Circle area and other areas of DC, for business many times. If you want a fridge then the Residence Inn across the street from the Barcelo is a great choice. The metro walk is maybe 10 minutes and there are lots of restaurants and other choices for nite life. The hotel provides a small kitchen are in each room and you get a full size fridge, dishwasher, stove, micro wave and coffeemaker. The table is set with silverware in your room when you arrive. Room service is available from Mimi's next door and there is a free managers reception Monday - Thurs that provides stuff like Pizza, subs, desserts, chicken wings, spaghetti, etc.Also, continental breakfast is free every morning. The staff at this hotel is very friendly and willing to help. The best thing about staying in this area is the wide array of restauranst that you can walk to very close by.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Feb 1st, 2003 02:28 PM

I liked Barcelo too, but can't recall if I had a ref. or not. A few doors west of the hotel was a small convenience store, and a bagelry across the street. I stayed there the middle of Feb, and thought nothing of the short walk to the Metro. Look at Summerfield Suites by Wyndham at Embassy Row - some rooms have refridge in room, plus breakfast (7 days) & evening reception (weekdays). I usually stay in the 'burbs, but prefer Dupont C when staying in town.

kit Feb 1st, 2003 04:08 PM

Hi, I live in Dupont. The Barcelo and Residence Inn are extremely close to the south entrance to the Metro. Jury's is about the same distance from the north entrance to the Metro. I'd be very surprised if the walk were more than 5 minutes max. All three are great -- equally good imo -- locations. I'd pick based on the rate you're able to get and the amenities that are important to you. (MArriott points at Residence Inn and such...)

E Feb 1st, 2003 09:06 PM

I agree with Kit--the Barcelo is 2 blocks from the Metro, 5 minutes if you walk slowly. Jury's is less than a block from the OTHER entrance to the same Metro station. Choose the amenities you want, the difference in distance-to-Metro is negligible. Enjoy!

BigRed Feb 3rd, 2003 05:44 AM

We stayed at the Canterbury, which is about a 5 minute walk from the Dupont Circle metro stop. A small European style hotel that was very nice and was very affordable

JaneB Feb 3rd, 2003 06:12 AM

FYI<BR>I just did a search of Canterbury Hotel on Google and it is now the Topaz Hotel.

joebob_lives Feb 3rd, 2003 06:14 AM

all of these hotels are convenient to the metro. a ten minute walk is only if you have 1 leg and no crutches. all are no more than 5 minutes from the metro and very convenient. don't forget to eat at chipotle.

Topper Feb 7th, 2003 05:43 AM

Topping for Mattdr

zootsi Feb 7th, 2003 07:28 AM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites this past October, we got the room thru Hotwire at a very reasonable $75.00 a night. The room was quite spacious,could easily accomodate 4 people, and ther was a small kitchenette with a fridge. The location was a quiet upscale residential street about a 10 minute<BR>walk to the Metro. On the minus side, the room was a little 'worn', and the free breakfast buffet was pretty meager.