Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dumb question-walking distances from Old Faithful Snow Lodge to Inn, and Colter Bay to Jackson Lake Lodge?

Search

Dumb question-walking distances from Old Faithful Snow Lodge to Inn, and Colter Bay to Jackson Lake Lodge?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds stupid but is it feasible to walk from Old faithful Snow Lodge to Old Faithful Inn for dinner? (less than 20 mins) As we would prefer not to have to drive in the evenings as we could enjoy a glass of wine safely. On a map it looks close by!
Similarly is it a far walk from Colter Bay to Jackson Lake Lodge in GTNP?
Also, a question about meal times:
Apparently 5 or 6 pm is a great time to eat- why?
Is there no atmosphere at 8pm? we haven't made reservations yet for august and are concerned the best are gone!
thanks in advance!

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Old Faitful Inn is fairly close to the Snow Lodge. I think you could walk it in less than 20 minutes. The Inn is behind some stores, then you walk across the street and parking areas, past the visitor center near Old Faithful to the Inn. I think I can do it in 10 minutes, walking at a normal speed.

The reason the dining room is not always crowded at 5 PM is because it is still full daylight. The dining room fills very fast, however, and reservations for the better times are used up well in advance. You are advised to make reservations for the evening well in advance, like 1 month or more.

I don't recall from my visits to the Tetons how far the distance is you mention. I think that one is considerable, but my recall is very poor.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:44 AM
gc

Siobhan,

I don't recall the distance from Colter Bay to Jackson Lake Lodge. However there are no sidewalks and lots of RV's.

Here's Colter bay's toll free number....why not go to the source?

(800) 628-9988

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for these replies. Will give Colter Bay a ring.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:08 AM

I just happened to have a G.T park map on my table since my husband just returned from there. It looks like about 5 miles from Colter Bay to Jackson Lake Lodge.

It's an easy walk from OF Inn to OF Snow Lodge.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:18 AM

Snow Lodge to Old Faithful Inn is about a half mile distance by way of the Old Faithful viewing area. Haven't been to Jackson Lake Lodge, sorry.