Dulles to Richmond or Williamsburg - HELP!

Jun 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Dulles to Richmond or Williamsburg - HELP!

Hi there

We need to get someone from Dulles Airport to either Richmond or Williamsburg on July 2nd ... the holiday weekend. I am trying to avoid the drive and find another solution for our friend (who cannot rent a car).

Are there any options that anyone knows about?

Best regards
Jun 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Amtrak. There are several trains that leave each day (including July 2nd) from D.C.'s Union Station to either Richmond or Williamsburg. So, if you can get your friend over to Union Station, then he/she should have no problem getting to either city. (He/she might want to book in advance since it is a holiday weekend.)
If you can't get your friend to Union Station, he/she can either take a cab (around $60 - $70) or take public transportation (a combination of Washington Flyer bus and Metrorail). The directions on how to do this are on the Dulles Airport website under "Ground Transportation".
Jun 25th, 2010, 04:29 AM

You don't even necessarily have to go into the District to get Amtrak to Richmond. I think there is a stop in Alexandria, but check the schedules. It is a pleasant trip.

If your friend is from abroad s/he will enjoy passing through Ashland, where the train runs right down the main street of a small town. A British friend thought it would be very convenient if one could just walk down to the end of the garden and flag a train! Alas, one cannot.
Jun 26th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips!!
Jun 26th, 2010, 08:14 AM

Hey, weespxx. If your friend ends up on Amtrak, I would suggest you pick them up in Richmond if you can. I'm sure Williamsburg is much more convenient for you but if that train is going to be held up anywhere it will be on the stretch between Richmond and Williamsburg. My kids have been stuck for hours on that stretch and its frustrating because its so close to home. Notice that there are two different Richmond stations.

Search this Thread