Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dulles & LAX airports (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dulles-and-lax-airports-137599/)

val Jan 3rd, 2003 01:58 PM

Dulles & LAX airports

Can anyone please advise whether Dulles &amp; LAX airports have day rooms that you can &quot;overnight&quot; in. If so, are they landside or airside? Any help appreciated. Also is anyone familiar with Hampton Inn Washington Hotel Dulles? <BR>Thanks. Val

xxx Jan 3rd, 2003 02:03 PM

The airports don't, but a couple of nearby hotels do - the big chain airport hotels often offer day room on a space available basis. Where have you found airside day rooms anywhere in the US? I am interested?

xx Jan 3rd, 2003 08:30 PM

I used to call on the Dulles Hampton Inn as a sales rep. Clean, about 5 minutes from the airport. It also relatively new--maybe 6-7 years. I would not hesitate to to stay there, and no, they were not that good of a customer for me.

val Jan 4th, 2003 11:31 AM

Thankyou for your replies. To xxx, I am notfamiliar with US airports (I live in NZ) but at Auckland International airport there are day rooms airside - single and twin. Perhaps you will visit this way some day.<BR>Val.

xxx Jan 4th, 2003 09:37 PM

Val - haven't been to NZ yet but plan on going there in Feb 2004 during a long planned around the world trip. Really looking forward to it.

xxx Jan 5th, 2003 12:17 PM

Dear Val:<BR><BR>There are no hotels within Dulles Airport itself.<BR><BR>The Hampton Inn is one of several nearby &quot;budget&quot; hotels; other chain hotels in this category include the Fairfield Inn and Country Inn &amp; Suites. More expensive is the Holiday Inn which is directly across the street from the Hampton Inn. All of these are located about two miles north of the airport - this translates into a 5-10 minute drive from Dulles when the traffic is light but at least 15 - 20 minutes during the morning (approx. 6 - 9 AM) or afternoon (approx. 3 - 7 PM) rush hours.<BR> <BR>More luxurious and expensive is the Hyatt, but it is a bit closer to the airport. The Mariott is also a more expensive hotel, but it is the closest of all (the only one within actual sight of the aiport).<BR><BR>You will have to take hotel shuttle buses or taxis to get to and from these hotels. Be sure to allow for traffic when scheduling your return to the airport.<BR><BR>Depending on how long you plan to be in the area, there may be something else to consider - while the Hyatt, Mariott, and Holiday Inn have full-service in-house restaurants, the &quot;budget&quot; hotels serve only a complimentary continental breakfast (e.g., coffee and a few doughnuts and bagels). There are NO restaurants within walking distance of the budget hotels except for the Burger King (hamburger fast-food stand) next door to the Country Inn &amp; Suites. Of course, if you stayed at the Hampton Inn, you could cross the street to the Holiday Inn restaurant as a last resort. You could also &quot;order in&quot; pizza or other food to your room.<BR><BR>There are several good restaurants in the suburban communities of Herndon and Chantilly which ring Dulles Airport but a taxi would be required to reach them.<BR><BR>At Dulles itself there are numerous fast-food places but no decent sit-down reastaurant (The Sam Adams pub is okay, but not what I would call a really &quot;nice&quot; restaurant).<BR><BR>

Ricardo Sandoval Jan 5th, 2003 04:26 PM

Val:<BR><BR>I work at LAX and no days rooms are offered anywhere in the airport. Your best bet is to get a hotel near the airport. Basically all of them have a free shuttle that will pick you up and drop you off again. If you're looking for a &quot;bargain basement&quot; hotel I suggest either the Hacienda or the Furama Hotel. We send our passengers there everytime we have a delay or a cancellation. The hotels aren't the Four Seasons but you'll get a clean room with basic amenities for about $50 a night. You also might want to try to get your airline to give you a &quot;distressed passenger&quot; voucher if ever your flight is delayed or canceled and the airline is refusing to pay for your accomodation. This rate is usually about $10 cheaper than the regular rate.<BR><BR>Happy Traveling!

val Jan 9th, 2003 05:12 PM

Thanks to all for your replies. Most helpful. Flying NZ to St Thomas with one night in Washington DC. A long trip but am sure it will be memorable.<BR>