Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Duck Tour or Trolley Tour - Boston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/duck-tour-or-trolley-tour-boston-242988/)

Sue Jul 25th, 2002 04:10 AM

Duck Tour or Trolley Tour - Boston

My husband and I are going to be in Boston for just 2 nights (Newbury Guest House) and originally planned on doing a hop on/hop off Trolley Tour, but have read how much fun and interesting the Duck Tours are. The plus of the Trolley is that you can get off at the different sights, but the Duck tour sounds very unique. Maybe do both?? Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced either or both tours. Thanks!

Parrot Mom Jul 25th, 2002 04:37 AM

Just watched many of the Duck Tour vehicles touring Copley Square Monday and I would definetely go with them. As a Bostonian thinking about doing it myself, just make sure you make reservations ahead of time..they are very popular. They are located at the Prudential Center.

Mashon Jul 25th, 2002 05:23 AM

I think the two have different functions. Duck tour is very brief tour of historic area and then more time on the river -- it's fun, it's expensive ($25?), but I think it's worth it. The Trolley Tour will take in more of Boston and allows you more independence to see some of the sights "up close." <BR><BR>Enjoy the Newbury -- my favorite place, but do they still refuse to supply non-caffeine teas?

Suzy Jul 25th, 2002 06:36 AM

Take the Duck Tour, then use the subway to get to the sights. As you'll learn when you take the Duck Tour, Boston is a very compact walkable city (at least, the part the tourists are interested in!).

Lisa Jul 25th, 2002 11:08 AM

I completely agree with Suzy. We did just that when we visited Boston. The Duck tour is very different and we enjoyed it. We used the subway for all transportation and it was very convenient and inexpensive. As one earlier poster stated, make sure that you get to the Duck tour ticket booth when it opens, otherwise you might not get a tour for that day. <BR>have fun! Boston is a great city!

Wendy Jul 25th, 2002 01:23 PM

Well i guess I'll go against the grain and give a thumbs up for the Trolley Tour which we did last month. The reason we chose them was because for around $28 we got tickets for 2 full days and you can jump on/off and there is always another about 20 mins behind.<BR><BR>I think which tour you take really depends on what you want it for. If you just have time to learn about the sites briefly then I would do the duck. If you want to be able to experience right then what they are telling you then the Trolley is the better bang for your buck.<BR><BR>Either way I'm sure you will have a ball!<BR>

cal Jul 25th, 2002 03:55 PM

Definetly do both.

janet Jul 26th, 2002 03:54 PM

The Duck Tour is a lot of fun. The couple of times that I have taken it, I was surprised at what I learned (and I have spent most of my life around Boston).<BR><BR>As for the Trolley, I believe there are two lines. I wish I could remember the details, but my sisters-in-law had a poor experience (bad service, poor schedule) with one of them and ended up walking back to downtown from the USS Constitution.<BR><BR>have fun!

sue Jul 29th, 2002 04:19 AM

Thank you so much everyone for the wonderful response. I think we will do the Duck tour upon arrival and then we can always do the trolley the next day if we feel we need to see and hear more. As suggested, we could also go back to the places ourselves that we want to spend more time at. Thanks again everyone for your time and thoughtfulness to respond. This site has always come through for us for all our traveling needs.