Dual passports and visa?

Old May 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual passports and visa?

I'm applying for a student visa to the States on Monday, and then I will book an interview for it at the American Embassy in London where I live. I'm a Swedish national who has a place at an American university, but I was wondering if there will be a problem with me having an Iranian passport as well? I don't want to lie and then they later find out, because the Swedish government knows anyway and I've never had an issue with them about it, but I know America is more sensitive about these things in general. I've never actually lived in Iran, I was born in Sweden, I just have this passport in case I need to go for a family event so I don't have any visa issues.

Will this cause me any problems in during my visa application? If so what would you advise?
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Only the Embassy can tell you, though your university might have sorted some of this out for you and others in the same situation.

You are wise not even to consider lying about the situation or presenting an edited version of the truth. There are many Iranians living happily in the United States, though the mostly call themselves
Persians, but the surest way to be excluded is to be less than truthful.
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with Ack. If asked, disclose your second nationality. This might trigger a closer scrutiny of your application, but would not by itself disqualify you from study in the U.S.. On the other hand lying might result in permanent or longterm disqualification. And on the third hand, never volunteer information which has not been requested. This will serve you well throughout your life.
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM

Agree that you must be straight upfront - since they would probably find out anyway - and then have caught lying.

And agree that here most call themselves Persians - we had the Persian day parade in NY a couple of weeks ago.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:59 PM

I agree with Fra_Diavolo. Answer all questions truthfully, but don't volunteer info that hasn't been requested.

If they do ask if you hold any other passports, I'd guess there will be somewhere to explain your circumstances.
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:04 AM

While I agree with all the above, this advice is worth exactly what you have paid for it!! LOL
Ask your university. And tell the embassy. It is the final answer.
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:04 AM

While I agree with all the above, this advice is worth exactly what you have paid for it!! LOL
Ask your university. And tell the embassy. It is the final answer.