Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   driving with a pug to San Diego fron Boston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-with-a-pug-to-san-diego-fron-boston-815706/)

fudgemum Nov 26th, 2009 04:05 AM

driving with a pug to San Diego fron Boston

Hi, I am driving with a dog (pug)from Boston to San Diego leaving Dec 2. I really would like to get out there as soon as possible. My furniture could arrive as early as Dec 7. Any suggestions or tips. Also I would love to check out some fun places to stop and eat along the way. Thanks

dbdurand Nov 26th, 2009 07:15 AM

Someone else is doing the same thing about the same time, and there's a long thread on the subject here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-road-trip.cfm

travelbuff Nov 26th, 2009 05:12 PM

If you are a member of AAA and taking this trip you really should be, they can give you a plan for the trip and some ideas of where you might want to stop along the way.

Good luck.

gail Nov 26th, 2009 10:13 PM

Someone told me once that pugs and other animals with simlarly shaped faces sometimes have breathing difficulty at high altitudes. Don't rely on my 3rd hand info, obviously, but add it to your list of things to check out prior to trip.

Gretchen Nov 27th, 2009 01:34 AM

You may most need to check out motels that allow animals. I know some in Kansas that do.

fudgemum Nov 27th, 2009 05:19 AM

Thanks so much. Yes I do belong to AAA and they recommeded a northern route, which I am uncomfortable following. I am thinking I84 to I81 to I40.I would love some dog friendly motel recommendations. I see the other trip, but they seem to be taking their time to sightsee,I need to get across quickly. Thanks again

Dayle Nov 27th, 2009 06:43 AM

fudgemum,I have a pug and we live in Utah at 6800 ft. His breathing is no different at our home or at sea level in CA. Main factors are heat and cold, which you already know as a pug owner.

I would just make sure I have advance res at dog friendly motels. Sometimes if you arrive later in the evening they can be full.

Go for the southern route in winter months for sure. Have a safe trip!

fudgemum Nov 28th, 2009 04:52 AM

Hi Dayle, Aren't pugs great! Good to know that the attitute will not be a problem. Heat is but it looks like the weather won't be too hot in the south and I have air in the car. Booking a motel might have to be last minute as I want to drive as far as I can and then see where I am. I would love to try to get to Memphis in one day.

gail Nov 28th, 2009 05:58 AM

Boston to Memphis in one day? It is over 1300 miles and Mapquest calls it as 21 hours. I think that is completely unrealistic, with or without a pug. We drive a similar route to NC several times/year and are exhausted by the time we get close to southern VA. Certainly no time for "fun places". You refer to "I" in OP, so I am assuming there is only one driver - making it nearly impossible in anything resembling a safe trip.

In addition, please be aware of weather, since the PA route thru Harrisburg, etc can get nasty snow squalls even at this early winter time.

Have a safe trip.

Gretchen Nov 28th, 2009 06:30 AM

Boston to Memphis through PA is impossible in one day!
I think you will find a lot of dog friendly motels on I70 (I know that for sure in Kansas and Missouri) and I40. There are many "budget" motels which I have found just fine for the night and cheap.
You might google for "dog friendly motels I40--or by state. It may be that there are state laws against it in some which might make your choice of route different.
Watch the weather channel for your incoming weather. I got caught in a blizzard one year and had to stop.

ChristieP Nov 28th, 2009 06:44 AM

The La Quinta chain is well-known for being pet friendly.

hobokenkid Jan 12th, 2010 06:35 AM

Get to NEVada and turn around why move to Boston it sucks...you will be back in San diego in 2 years..lol

janisj Jan 12th, 2010 11:14 AM

Hobokenkid: "<i>Get to NEVada and turn around why move to Boston it sucks...you will be back in San diego in 2 years..</i>"

You woke up this AM w/ the bright idea to register on Fodors to post <i>that</i>???

1) It is stoooopid.

2) If you read the post sober you'd realize the OP moved TO San Diego.