Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

driving/weather question - emergency - Western PA (Wash DC to Erie)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi anyone,

I have to leave TONIGHT (or at latest tomorrow) to get home to Erie from Washington DC. Let's just say an imminent family health-emergency and leave it at that.

what are the roads like, for anyone who may live along EITHER the Turnpike route,

or the across 68 in Maryland, through WV & up 79 route.

The weather radar makes it look BAD BAD BAD. Ice sleet fog. I don't want to die or even wreck my car doing this. But I feel compelled to go.

I might just end up getting a walk up plane ticket, but I'd like to see if I can chance driving & save the expense.

thanks all

Beth

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 11:13 AM
GOL

Beth,
Although it may be obvious, but get the telephone numbers of the state police posts along the route and call them.

We had similar questions last year and found our State police to be fantastic.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Melanie

Beth, I've done this trip several times from Richmond to just south of Erie (Edinboro exit). Your MUCH better bet is going to be I-68 to Morgantown and then up I-79, rather than the PA Turnpike (which is nasty even in good weather). If this storm is coming off of Lake Erie, there's a good chance you won't hit much of anything bad until the very last of the trip -- probably Meadville or Edinboro (unfortunately, when you are most tired). If it's coming in from the southwest, though, you might be tracking right along side of it or hopefully in front of it. One thing to remember is that there are some pretty good stretches both on 68 and 79 where there isn't much civilization, so you may want to reevaluate your progress at the major exits where you would be able to find a place to stay if you needed to.

The good thing about this route is that it will be MAJOR interstates all the way, and MD, WV and PA DOT will be working their tails off trying to keep clear.

The biggest problem with a plane ticket is that if you are trying to fly into Erie from Pittsburgh, that flight might get canceled due to weather anyway, and you'd still have the worst of the weather to drive through.

Hope this isn't too late, and best of luck.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Chickn

Sorry about the family emergency -- it makes decision-making tough.

An emphatic second to the advice to go through western Maryland and avoid the Penn. turnpike. It's a much, much more doable drive -- it might be 1/2 hr. longer IF weather is perfect AND there are no delays on the Penn pike, but in general it always seemed faster to us. There's the added benefit of some nice Menonite restaurants in the area of Castleton.

Strongly recommend NOT doing it at night, however. The worst is sometimes the stretch north of Frederick, no matter which way you go. And it looks like the weather front is moving through, so maybe it won't be too bad by the time you get to Pittsburgh.

If you fly, would you try to get to Erie or try going into Cleveland and renting a car?

Good luck.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Melanie

If you can't get into Erie by flight, it's the same difference from Cleveland, Buffalo, or Pittsburgh distance-wise and time-wise on a 'normal' day. Weatherwise, again it depends on where the storm is coming from. If it's a lake effect storm, Cleveland and Buffalo both are potentially bad choices.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Rich

Beth:

Considering the way the weather looks, I'd really urge you to consider checking Southwest Airlines from BWI to Cleveland, and then picking up a rental car or a shuttle for the trip from Cleveland to Erie (about 2 hrs., I believe?). Your life isn't worth saving a few $$... Southwest usually has very reasonable fares, even for last-minute trips...

I used to drive between Columbus and D.C. all the time...would STRONGLY recommend that if you're hell-bent on driving to use I-68 to I-79 instead of the PA Turnpike...but other posters are correct....once you get west of Cumberland, you're going to be pretty much away from civilization -- until Washington, PA. Hope you have a mobile phone in case of emergency....

Would also recommend checking the MD, WV, & PA Dept. of Transportation Web Sites...they usually have up-to-date info. on road conditions...

Good luck!

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 01:30 PM
xx

live in New Castle..road conditions are okay here and Pgh area...should be okay in Erie too..1 to 2 more inches roads all salted in those areas..Mts and Westmoreland Co. supposed to have more sow tonight..I`d wait until tom'w and you shoud be fine Pgh Radio/TV said we dodged another one..I do know there is an erie airport and big planes come in there..but you should be okay to drive it..maybe be better in Daylight though..Good luck and sorry about your troubles..hope everything goes well in the end..

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Annie

Since you're from Erie (there are a gazillion people here in the D.C. area from western and northwest PA) and live in D.C. you've driven this route 1,000 times, so I'm assuming you're just looking for info on the road conditions tonight (so this may be too late for you). Call information for the state police (in any town). They can give you the 800 number for the turnpike. It's pretty good, and actually is updated regularly--not like that useless AM radio station they post along the turnpike.

I would take the turnpike if the weather's decent. The I-68 route is almost exactly 45 minutes longer (I go to Conneaut Lake, and have tried the I-68 trip several times).

The plane isn't a great option, as the worst weather you'll face will be between Pittsburgh and Erie or Cleveland and Pittsburgh. There's no good way to fly, and the flight to Erie takes long than the drive, with the transfer in Pittsburgh. Good luck.