driving vacation w/ pregnant wife

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
john

driving vacation w/ pregnant wife

My wife is 6 month pregnant and we're looking for suggestions for a driving vacation (6-8 days) next month.

Could be one or two distinct locations anywhere from Maine to Virgina. Country/rural would be best. Been to Cape Cod many times so we're ruling that out(although its a good choice). Appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Clara

I like Shenandoah, Virginia. We always stay in the honeymoon cabins at brrokside (www.brooksidecabins.com). There are lots of easy trails in the park itself, and it is just a beautiful place to relax and unwind and enjoy each others' company, especially since you'll have very little of that a few months from now!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:11 PM
Dad

Make sure there are plenty of bathroom and/or rest stops on your way...

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:22 AM
S

My in-laws are 12 hours away. When I was 6 months pregnant with our 2nd child, I found the trip far more difficult than anticipated. I definitely second the frequent breaks! Another suggestion is to have a back-up plan if she finds the hours in a vehicle too tiring.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:45 AM
Merilee

New Hope, Pennsylvania (Bucks County) is always lovely...many beautiful b&b's...you can take scenic walks along the Delaware River, browse through antique shops and galleries, see a show at Bucks County Playhouse, and have nice meals at the numerous, diverse restaurants...you can also take a ride on a vintage train, or a barge being pulled by a mule...a short ride to Lahaska and you can stroll through Peddler's Village (there's very nice lodging there also)...you won't be too far from Pennsylvania either...another nice location is The Breakers at Spring Lake, New Jersey...it's right across the street from the ocean...or you can lounge by the pool...nice on site restaurant...very picturesque and peaceful and you can walk on the boardwalk...you can also walk to town to browse and eat.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:54 AM
Merilee

Duh, I meant to write that you wouldn't be too far from Philadelphia...obviously, you will already be in Pennsylvania!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:07 PM
john

thanks for the suggestions and feedback !! Will take a look

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:31 PM
KJ

I am also expecting (6 months) and just returned from a week's vacation to PA. Although we went to great places and stayed at lovely resorts, it was hard at times. It took us 5 1/2 hrs to get home by car and I found that ride tough. I actually was so worn out from vacation, I needed several days to recouperate. I'd suggest you seek out a destination closer (earlier suggestions were great) and make it a relaxing trip. I did the whole hiking, biking, amusement park thing and pushed it a little too far. Best of luck to you.