Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving to Pittsburgh from Boston tomorrow - better to go 84-81 or thru CT/NY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Judy

Of on another college visit.
Mapquest sent me by CT 15-I91-I95-I287-NY state thruway. A friend just told me to avoid CT and NY and go 84 all the way till PA.

What do you say is the best way to go?
Thanks so much for your help. I have been told it is going to be anywhere from 8-11 hours(depending on who tells me). Anything to cut down on time will be excellent.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 05:31 AM
just

Does this sound good?
THe Mass Pike to the NYThruway to Rt 80 in NJ to Pa.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 05:36 AM
bennie

We drove from Boston to Harrisburg this summer and on the advise of the posters here we took the 84 to 81 route. Mapquest gave us the same directions that you got. The drive was fine in the summer but it is very hilly in some parts and there was significant truck traffic. In the winter it might be a bit hairy.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Howard

Definitely avoid the Mapquest route!

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 06:12 AM
mj

Judy,
The mapblast route you posted is a disaster, unless you really enjoy being stuck in construction traffic (I-95->I-287) - BTDT over T'giving trying to get home to LI from CT! Spent 1.5 hrs at 10:30PM, creeping from Coop City to Throgs Neck and the poor souls trying to get on 287 may still be there.

Do mapblast from Millbrook, NY->Pittsburg and use the route from the point it puts you on I-84.
hth,

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Judy

mj - why from Millbrook?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 06:40 AM
ny

Judy:
Millbrook is in Dutchess County. 84 run right through it.
I think 84 to 81 is the best route.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Judy

Any other comments/suggestions?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Donna

Well, you can trust me on this, or not (Mapquest advice is worth what you've paid for it and, it is, all in all, inanimate). Take I-84 all the way to I-81. Should take you just about 9-1/2 hours. Stop at the Sturbridge Bistro in Sturbridge for one terrific meal. For one thing, maps can be deceiving. And, should you even receive dozens more "comments/suggestions" - how, oh how, would you know which to believe or rely upon??? Your "friend" is a much better resource than Mapquest. Back when I didn't know any better than to rely on "Mapquest", the route indicated that we should "turn right" off the NY Thruway, where there was no exit in either direction for 15 miles.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Judy

Donna - Thanks so much. I just checked my thread once more before I go to sleep for the long drive tomorrow. The Sturbridge Bistro - must be in Sturbridge, MA? If so, the timimg won't work out to make it there for a meal.But thanks anyway. Thanks for the clear and definitive advise.