Notices

driving to Maine

Jul 11th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

driving to Maine

My wife and I are driving to Maine from New York. We want to stop in the town of Portland. We both really like to site see, taste the foods of the lands, and have fun. would anyone have any suggestions for us while we are in Portland...thanks
Jul 11th, 2014, 10:04 AM

Do a Fodor's search on Portland or simple filter for Maine only posts. Chowhound Northern New England has specific recommendations for Portland and trip reports for meals eaten. I have not been to the Portland farmers market but hear it is very good. I would try to include a visit or visit one of the other markets. You can get a list of farmers markets from the state of Maine Dept of Agriculture website and there is probably a brochure at the rest area/tourist info on I95. We have been to the farmers markets in Rockland, Bath and Brunswick and liked them all. Bring picnic supplies so you can buy some local yogurt or cheese and fruit or bread or ... Make sure you visit at least one lobster shack.
Jul 12th, 2014, 05:21 AM

Portland is a city, rather than a town unless you are from The City.

Everyone loves Duck Fat, especially the fries with duck fat. Otherwise, seafood is the thing, particularly lobsters.

Lobster is best eaten at a lobster pound, a dock where fresh lobsters are boiled, usually with corn, to order and served with butter, slaw, perhaps blueberry pie. steamed clams go well, too. The best tend not to be right on the main highways but tucked in at the end of roads. Follow signs, particularly amateur signs, or ask locally.

It is a good sign if they don't automatically offer you a plastic bib.

You can combine seafood and a boat cruise if you take the mailboat from Portland to Bailey's Island. It stops at Bailey's Island for a lobster lunch.

Search this Thread