Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving time--Yachats,OR to Mendocino,CA?? Just help me one more time!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 04:20 PM
thomas

Our trip down the west coast is about planned, thanks to all you Fodorites. I know its going to be a long day, but how unbearable a drive in one day? We have to do this in order to be able to book a room in the Mendocino area (two nights minimum...)and will enjoy relaxing there and visiting some vineyards. We're staying in Yachats, plan to get up early and want to drive through the Redwood's (really fast!, I guess) Thanks again, you've been a great help.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Don

If you plug in Yachats and Mendocino in Mapquest.com, it says it'll take 13 hours and 35 minutes (just under 640 miles).

Yow--that's a long haul for one day. Good luck!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 08:24 PM
MsGhost

Thomas, the driving time from Eugene to Mendocino is pretty much 8 hours and that doesn't really allow for "dawdling" en route. I can't really remember how long it is from the coast (Yachats) to Eugene but would guess you should allow an hour and one-half. Usually we either go along the coast or inland on I-5, the latter being the quicker driving time. The coast around Yachats is beautiful, but so is the southern Oregon coast--just don't know if you'll have time to really see that area if you also want to see redwoods. The largest redwoods that are also closer to Hwy 101 are just south of Crescent City where they have places to park and walk a short distance to "Groves" of old redwoods. It is also a pretty drive (but slow going) along the Smith River north of Crescent City---that's partly why it takes 6 hours from Mendocino to Grants Pass, assuming you go to I-5. In the area north of Garberville you'll also pass several exits where you can meander through parts of the Avenue of the Giants, another area of gigantic, old-growth redwoods.
You mention wanting to "relax" in Mendocino and go to the wineries. After spending a LONG day in the car, hopefully you'll just enjoy wandering around the Village of Mendocino and hopefully down to Big River Beach immediately to the south of town. There is one winery, Pacific Star, that's right on the coast shortly after Hwy 1 leads you to the coastline (forgot to mention, the stretch of road from Hwy 101 at Leggett over to Ft. Bragg is VERY time-consuming because, although not a great distance, is very windy and narrow), but the majority are inland on Hwy 128 between Mendocino and Boonville. I don't know where you are going when you leave Mendocino, but if you are going south to San Fran, it would probably make more sense to stop by some of the wineries along Hwy 128 as you leave since it's the quickets route south. Not far apart and right on Hwy 128 as you head south, you'll find--in geographical order--Handley, Roederer, Husch, Greenwood Ridge, Navarro, and Pacific Echo (which used to be Scharffenberger Sparkling Wine).
Just out of curiosity, where are you staying in the Mendocino area and what made you choose that spot?
Drive carefully and have fun!