Driving time from Santa Cruz to San Simeon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be driving from Santa Cruz to San Simeon on Hwy 1 later this month on a Monday. We have reservations for a tour of Hearst Castle at 2 p.m. - and will be staying at a hotel in Cambria that night, before heading to San Diego the next day for a family reunion.

What is a reasonable travel time for getting from Santa Cruz to San Simeon? We will probably want to stop for lunch - but nothing too fancy. We've been to Carmel and Pt. Lobos and Big Sur, so no need to make extra time for stops along the way.

I know the morning traffic along Hwy 1 before we get to Monterey can be congested, so maybe we will need to make allowances for that, unless we can leave after morning rush hour.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm one of those who hates to think about time constraints, as much as possible in life and especially on a trip. I'd spend the night before the tour in Cambria, very near Hearst Castle and no likelihood of traffic or landslide between sleeping place & touring place. If you can rearrange things accordingly, that's what I suggest. Then go farther down the coast that night, maybe Santa Barbara, a very nice place to wake up in.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That is a long drive. At least 3 hours if you take 101 and about 3.5 hours if you stick to hwy 1 . . . plus stops. And longer if you hit traffic or if we get a (much needed) storm.

Do you have to stay in Santa Cruz the night before? It would make things a lot easier if you stayed in Cambria, or even Carmel or Big Sur.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:47 AM

I agree with the others about trying to stay closer, if possible as the traffic can be quite unpredictable. If you do have to stay in Santa Cruz, I would try to leave quite early and have lunch in San Simeon.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:52 AM

If you have driven down Hwy 1 before and done all the stops, then I don't see any reason to stay in Cambria or Carmel the night before. Since your tour isn't until 2, that gives you plenty of time to make the drive. If you do 101, not sure exactly where you'd stop for lunch, along Hwy 1 several places to stop. If you leave around 8:30 that gives you plenty of time to stop for a quick lunch and maybe even get there a bit early.

janisj is right about the rain. If we happen to get some which we desperately need, then you'd want to go via 101.

Where are you staying in Cambria? Love that little town, one of my favorites.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I live in Santa Cruz. That's why it's my start point.

Four or even five hours drive is not a big deal. Gosh, when did three and a half hours become a "very long drive?"

We can stop for lunch along the way if we're making good time ... keep going if not. I'm not too worried about slides, since we have been in a drought for the past year and a half. I know it's still a couple weeks out, but the long range weather is not calling for any storms or even the possibility of rain through the 25th.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

paula1470 - that's what I am thinking. Definitely Hwy 1. If the drive is slow-going for any reason, we can just get some bread and cheese and have a dashboard picnic.

We're staying at Sand Pebbles Inn in Cambria. I think we'll have plenty of time to do the Hearst Castle tour at 2 p.m. (after living here most of my life, it will be my first time there!) and then relax at our hotel or maybe take a walk on the beach, and have a nice dinner somewhere in Cambria - suggestions welcomed!!! - before getting on the road early the next morning to drive south.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:06 AM

I agree about leaving early and eating around San Simeon.

The thing I see is a bigger issue is the fact that you are driving from Cambria to San Diego the next day. Are you going all the way into the city of San Diego? I live in North San Diego County about 50 north of San Diego. I have been to Cambria quite a few times. The drive from Cambria to the city of San Diego is close to 6 hours and that doesn't take into consideration traffic through LA. So as long as you are prepared for a very long driving day, then not a problem.

I understand that once you leave the Hearst Castle Tour, you won't want to drive far to check into your hotel. But maybe consider SLO or Pismo Beach area, will put you a little closer for the next day. I do love Cambria, though, and always enjoy staying there.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:21 AM

I just went for the first time to Hearst Castle last fall. Have lived in So. Cal for over 40 years and been to the Central Coast many, many times. I really enjoyed the tour although the day we went, it was a little chilly walking around the gardens, etc.

As far as restaurants in Cambria, my favorite is Robins. Rather eclectic menu so check it out ahead of time, you will need a reservation. Black Cat Bisto is supposed to be the best but is a little out of my price range since I was often there for travel and on an expense account. Sea Chest is good and is right on Moonstone Beach. I usually stay right next door to it and people line up for opening time. I don't think they take reservations. If you like pie, you absolutely have to go to Linn's. I think all their pies are good but they are famous for their Olallieberry pie. Don't exactly what the Ollallieberry season is but they are berries grown mostly in the Central and No. Calif.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks paula - good info on the restaurants. I'll check them all out. Hopefully at least one will be open Mondays.

Yes, I know it will be a long drive the following day. We're going to be staying at a vacation rental home in Carlsbad, and it's not going to be ready for our arrival until about 4 p.m. - so a longer drive that day will be okay. I do know about getting through LA - and I'm not looking forward to that part of it. After our week-long stay, we'll drive back home via 101 all in one day.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 12:42 PM

Well you aren't going all the way into San Diego so that helps a little and you can use the carpool lanes when they are available getting through LA. I am used to long drives and traffic so never a problem for me but many people don't like to be in their car that long.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 12:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
oh - heck, I should have guessed from your screen name you live in Santa Cruz. No, the drive won't be hard for you. I was posting from the standpoint of one of our newbies wanting to do SF/ Santa Cruz/ San Simeon / San Diego in three days
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 09:54 AM

janisj - LOL don't you just love those posts!
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 03:22 PM

For lunch before your castle tour I would recommend stopping at Ragged Point Inn. They have a deli out front but I would recommend sitting at the restaurant, outside preferably if the weather is nice. Had a really good Cuban sandwich there a couple of weeks ago.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Well ... we are getting our much needed rains. I wish it could have been a different week, but I am not complaining, as we are parched everywhere in California.

We're switching up the plans for the drive down - will plan to take 101 instead of Hwy 1. Maybe on the way back next week, we can take the coast highway. And, as the passenger with a fear of heights, I think I will like the views even better heading north!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Checking back in to share what we ended up doing. It was overcast the day we left, but didn't seem too bad, so we decided to stay on Hwy 1 down to San Simeon. It was very cloudy and not as beautiful as when it's sunny, but we made it easily in time for our 2:20 tour - the rain started while we were at the castle, so instead of being able to hang out on the grounds after the actual tour, we took the bus back down to the visitors' center and headed directly to Cambria, where we had reservations at the Sand Pebble Inn. Had splurged for a beach view and balcony, but there was a torrential deluge as soon as we arrived. Hard not to be happy to see the rain, with our drought, so we rolled with the punches, figuring someday we'll come back for a sunny day.

Next day we drove along the coast to Carlsbad, where we had a house rented for the week with our extended family. Had sunny weather - not quite as warm as we might have liked -- but no rain.

Arrived back home today - two days driving north with an overnight in Pismo Beach. Beautiful views all along PCH north from PB to Monterey ... all in all a great trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glad the weather finally cooperated!