Santa Monica and Santa Barbara

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I am planning midday in Santa Barbara hopefully staying at the Pacifica on Nov 5. I plan to transfer to The Guardian in Santa Barbara on the 7th and fly out the 11th. Is that enough time to have a taste of Santa Barbara? Please comment on the itinerary.

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 06:11 PM

I am a little confused. Do you mean that you are arriving in Santa Barbara on the 5th, then moving to Santa Monica on the 7th? I’m asking because I do not see a Guardian hotel in SB (actually, I don’t see one in S Monica either).

It depends on what you want to see and do in Santa Barbara. It’s a small, walkable city, very relaxing. It’s not a big night life place, IMO, like some other places -there’s stuff to do, but not like other places.

We LOVE it, and go often. We like walking in the gardens, along the beach, along State Street; eating in some wonderful restaurants; going to the Mission, the Natural History Museum, the Moxi science museum down by the beach. Our adult kids like nights in the Funk Zone, down by State and the Wharf ( your hotel is east beach, the Funk Zone is west beach). Depending on what you want to do and how relaxed you want your trip to be, I’d guess a few days would be nice (three days).

So much of it depends on what you want to see and do, and what you intend to do in Santa Monica and LA. If you’re more clear with your needs, it will help us guide you.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pacifica Suites in Goleta? That's 15-20 minutes from the center of Santa Barbara. It's close to UCSB, and access to the Santa Ynez Valley towns by-passes most of the SB traffic. But if your focus is SB itself, I'd look for lodging IN Santa Barbara.

Do you mean the Georgian Hotel in Santa Monica?

Are you flying out of Santa Barbara, LAX or Burbank?

I'm an L.A. native and not a fan of Santa Monica, but I would spend at least the last night relatively close to your departure airport. Although Santa Monica looks close to LAX on a map, I'd allow at least an hour to drive there from the Georgian. If you were driving from SB to SM on Friday the 10th, I've leave SB late morning or wait until early evening.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Iwan2go... thanks. The hotel is The Georgian in Santa Monica. My wife and I are lazy travellers. We travel a lot and often arrive at our destination with no plans. We like to walk around the area and see things and eat. SAN Sebastian in Spain is one of our favourite places. I don’t know if this helps. I have read that Santa Barbara is hard not to have a car.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

I am not married to the Pacifica. The Georgian staff recommended it. The only concern I have with SB is that it may be nit hold my attention specially in November. Great advise from everyone though.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 08:22 PM

Santa Barbara is perfect for what you enjoy. Stay somewhere near the wharf (there are restaurants out on the wharf....the casual seafood place is very good) and there is a 50cent trolley up State Street where you'll find all the shops, more dining, and a bit of nightlife.

You won't have a car?
www.santabarbaracarfree.com

But how are you getting down to Santa Monica without a car?
Look at Harbor View Inn, Harbor House Inn , Castillo Inn, Eagle Inn, Marina Beach Motel or Villa Rosa. Do NOT stay way up in Goleta.
Old Oct 6th, 2017, 05:06 AM

Agree with Debbie, you’d probably love Santa Barbara. I haven’t been to San Sebastián (yet, it’s on my list), but C’an recommend some beautiful and delicious restaurants in SB: Olio et Limone, Downey’s, Bouchon. We like Pierre laFond Montecito Wine Bistro, in upper Montecito, too - it’s not fine dining, but wonderful for a relaxing lunch on the patio, with the outdoor fireplace. Then we wind our way up to the Botanical Gardens, or down to the beach, for a walk.

Santa Barbara is very relaxing and the traffic is not as much of an issue as Santa Monica. We live in the San Fernando valley north of there, and I avoid the whole west side because it’s just too too congested.

I agree, stay in Santa Barbara itself. It’s a wonderful walking city.