Search

Kauai Honeymoon in December

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2016, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Honeymoon in December

Hello!

My husband and I are leaving for our delayed honeymoon next week to Kauai. We will be staying at the Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville and have rented a car. We haven't planned much yet (procrastination) but want to make sure we line up a few must-do's. We are big hikers so Waimea Canyon is already on our list but would love any other hiking recommendations. We also know that we want to do a Na Pali coast tour with snorkeling but I was wondering what that was like in the winter months? And is there one company that is better than the rest? I've looked into Capt Andy's and Blue Dolphin. Other activities we would love to do include: surfing, mountain biking, and plenty of trips to the spa!

We would love any and all advice for visiting Kauai in the winter months!
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 07:29 AM

No reason to line up anything in advance - unless you will be there over Xmas/NY. Expect it will be rainy in Hanalei/Princeville. You will need to make a decision day by day for the Na Pali coast tour with snorkeling, as those are often cancelled at that time of the year. Consult with the company you choose - we had a cruise cancelled due to weather and the company was glad to give us a full refund as we were unable to reschedule it (we went with Captain Andy, but they are all good). Frankly, you would be better off in the Poipu area at that time of the year, but I doubt you could change your reservations now.

Just relax and enjoy - don't worry about your list of "must-do" things as none of them are as important as enjoying yourselves. Even the rain shouldn't dent your enjoyment.

Happy honeymoon!
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When you have a nice , sunny day, don't put off outdoor activities. Get out and do your hike, etc. We put off going on a sugar cane plantation irrigation ditch float trip until our last day. We got rained out and it was cancelled.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 09:34 AM

Yes, the conventional wisdom is that the North Shore is rainy. But I've probably been there at least twenty times and I have only had one time when it rained for most of a week. Usually, the rain comes and goes. You might have a rainy morning and a pleasant afternoon--or vice-versa.

But the trails will likely be muddy and slippery--so be sure to wear appropriate footwear.

Here's my idea of a perfect Waimea Canyon day:
Leave Princeville early and have breakfast (banana macadamia pancakes!) at Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a. Stop at Wailua Falls and the Menehune Fish pond. Then stop at the Kauai Coffee Company for tastings and a great gift shop.

At Waimea Canyon, I love hiking "the Canyon Trail." It should be doable even if there are muddy parts. The Pihea Trail and some of the others will probably be too muddy to enjoy safely (IMHO).

Don't miss the Kalalau Lookout in Koke'e Park (which abuts Waimea Canyon). If it's fogged in there's a good chance the clouds will pass if you wait 20 minutes -- and its worth it!

On the way back have dinner at Hamura's Saimin.

One of my favorite hikes is the Kuilau Trail near the arboretum in Kapa'a (NOT to be confused with the Kalalau Trail, which I typically only do the first mile of). On the way, stop at Opaeka'a Falls and the sacred area across the road.

While it's not a "hike," a favorite walk is to start at Kealia Beach and walk the path north. You will almost definitely see whales in the distance.

Have an amazing time!
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 11:39 AM

I've only been to Kauai once in early December but the boat tours that time of year will all be going out of the southwest side of the island. Have taken both Captain Andy's and Holo Holo and they are both very good. The snorkeling is mainly an excuse to get some of the folks in the water while they setup for lunch. The snorkeling is just OK, it is better from shore, but the scenery is to die for. Take the morning tour when seas are calmer.
We always drove up to Koke'e State Park and the Kalalau Lookout first, then hit the canyon on our way down.
You might like the Mahaleupu Hike (starts near Grand Hyatt).
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 01:58 PM

Yes, I definitely agree with the suggestion for the Maha'ulepu walk. The beauty is unearthly and quite different from the rest of the island. You'll see whales, and with it being mostly along the cliffs, it's unlikely to be too muddy.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 07:40 PM

I've been blessed with many trips to Kauai and have barely scratched the surface. On my list is checking out the Wai Koa Loop Trail and a round of mini golf.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 07:44 PM

And this time of year stay away from Queen's Bath and the rocks and shore of Lumahai. Check your ocean safety
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 10:27 AM

Hi Sara, assuming you will head to the East/South at some point? There are many stops to make on the way to Waimea Canyon, including the bike trail in Kapa'a, Poipu Beach, and the walkable town of Hanapepe. The helicopter tours leave from Lihue. We did kayaking up the Wailua River, which was great, and included a hike to the secret waterall. Some ideas for activities near Lihue: https://bestplacetostay.org/2016/12/...r-lihue-kauai/

Hope you have an amazing honeymoon - ours was wonderful.