Driving Tampa to Sanibel-Coast or hiway 75?

Aug 3rd, 1998, 01:41 PM
Beth

Driving Tampa to Sanibel-Coast or hiway 75?

Husband and I will be driving from Tampa to Sanibel in October for vacation,and it's our first time in Florida. Would you suggest hiway 75 or the costal hiway (I think its 41) We were thinking coast but would love an educated opinion! Thanks!

Aug 3rd, 1998, 07:03 PM
Kittie

Beth: Hwy 41 doesn't hug the coast as close as it looks on the map. Infact most of the time you would be at least 1/2 to 1 mile from the coast. Of course driving through some of the little towns is charming, but it will take you twice as long to get where you are going.
If you want a short drive along the beach, you can take SR64 (Manatee Ave.) west bound from 41 or I75 to Gulf Drive (southbound). It goes from Anna Maria Island to Lido Key. There is also Casey Key Rd. just south of Osprey on Casey Key that's nice. You can get there by taking Blackburn Point Road westbound from 41.
Please email me if this all sounds confusing. I can get that way sometimes
Kittie

Aug 3rd, 1998, 11:10 PM
Melinda

Skip the coast as it is full of traffic and you can't see a thing. You will love Sanibel but bring some bug spray. Good time of year to go too as it is still warm but no tourists. Where are you staying? I grew up in Florida but still go to Sanibel to vacation. We love it as it is relaxing. Food is good and the shelling wonderful. My macho husband gets the "Sanibel Stoop" from too much searching for shells. Let me know if you need restaurants etc.

Aug 4th, 1998, 03:47 PM
Kittie

Aug 4th, 1998, 03:51 PM
Kittie

Melinda's right, there is alot of traffic along the beaches especially along Anna Maria and Lido. It gets crowded on the weekends and at times during the week. Casey Key is not too busy,though.
Kittie

Search this Thread