Search

San Francisco Short Weekend Trip - Carmel/Big Sur

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco Short Weekend Trip - Carmel/Big Sur

Hi experts,

I am hoping to take a short weekend trip down the coast from SF in a few weeks and wanted some advice as to what is doable. We'll be leaving very early Saturday morning from SF and can spend the night Saturday but need to be back in SF by 1pm Sunday -- so basically a day trip without the need to head back that same night.

I am torn between my desire to spend time at Point Lobos and to fully explore Big Sur. Is it at all doable to do both? If not, any thoughts as to how I should edit down? I want to see the main highlights and still make sure the trip is enjoyable and relaxing. Any thoughts on itinerary are welcome!

We can also stay either in Carmel or Big Sur, as it makes sense... thoughts there helpful as well.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:17 AM

You can see Point Lobos and Big Sur in one day. SF to Monterey is about 1.5 hours, and then another hour into Big Sur. So, if you leave SF around 7, you can be in Big Sur before 10. It will be a Saturday, so no commute traffic to worry about. I would spend most of the day in Big Sur and then head north to Point Lobos in the late afternoon. Point Lobos is open until just after sunset.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Alternatively, you could spend the night in Carmel or Monterey and then drive leisurely on Sunday back to SF.

There are also some great dining choices along that stretch of the coast.

Do you have a particular price range for the hotel?
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are HI hostels in Monterey and at Pigeon Point. My wife and I have stayed at each and would return if we went to that area. I'll give you the link to Pigeon Point Lighthouse.
http://www.norcalhostels.org/pigeon/
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM

>>

Or both. Drive down to Point Lobos and Big Sur on Saturday, but make your way back up to (and sleep in) Pacific Grove or Carmel. You should at least have time for dinner and a stroll through town. In the morning, have breakfast whereever you are, and hit the road.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Great to hear! I think we will plan on heading down to Big Sur early Saturday as suggested and doing Point Lobos at sunset. I'm going to book a hotel in Carmel simply because we don't want to spend for Ventana/Post Ranch and the step down in Big Sur is unavailable since we're traveling in just a few weeks.

Thanks for the help - I will report back when we return!