Driving - Providence, R.I. to New York City - Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 12:41 PM
K

Hello,

A west coast traveler is going to be driving from Providence, R.I. to Manhattan. Advice, pitfalls, routes, etc..

Any help appreciated.
K

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 03:36 PM
KenCT

In the best of circumstances, the trip should take about four hours on Route I-95. This is one of the most heavily used roads in the country, however, and you're almost certain to hit delays somewhere along the way due to construction, frequent accidents, etc.

Given that unhappy background, I'd make two recommendations. Get yourself a good, detailed map of Rhode Island, Connecticut, and lower New York, so that if you encounter a delay, you can exit, go around it, and move on. Second, avoid the section between New Haven and New York between 6 am and 10 am. It's always extremely busy and often a nightmare. There is an alternate, the Merritt Parkway which runs roughly parallel to I95 beginning just south of New Haven. Since it theoretically doesn't permit commercial traffic, it can be used as an alternative, although both routes are extremely crowded.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:02 PM
K

Ken,

Thank you very much for the information, I will get all of the maps I can.
The trip is going to be made in the evening after 5 p.m., does that help or hinder the trip?
How many toll bridges will there be to cross and what are the fees?

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:17 PM
rqf

If you would indicate where in Manhattan you will be going specific instructions can be provided on how best to get there. Once you hit the city if you are going to the east side you would go one way; the west side another way. There may or may not be a toll bridge once in the city - depends on your destination. If you do require the toll bridge, toll is $3.50.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:43 PM
easterner

Not being a wise guy but if at all possible take the train. Construction and volume delays can be awful. Because of your departure time you may get lucky but---. Seeing as you're going right by, should time allow I urge you to stop in New Haven,CT at either Pepe's or Sally's on Wooster Street for what everyone in the nation has agreed is the finest pizza anywhere. That's if you insist on driving. The white clam pie at Pepe's and the fresh tomato pie at Sally's are the vote here!
New Haven is half way between Prov & NY.
PS Note that the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 at or around exit 54 on I-95 in Ct.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 07:09 PM
K

We're heading to mid-town west (theater district).

How much would the train be to NY (I assume coming in at Grand Central?)

The stop ideas are definitely a possibility, you don't know how bad pizza is on the west coast.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:07 AM
rqf

Once in the city stay on I 95 and follow the signs directing you to the Cross Bronx Expressway/George Washington Bridge. As you approach the bridge stay to the right. You will see a sign indicating you are approaching the last exit in the city. Take that exit and swing around the left. You want to get to the west side highway going DOWNTOWN. The road you will be on is two lanes and then it become four lanes. Dividers will force you to take the two lanes to the left. Overhead signs indicate the left lane will take you to Riverside Drive (YOU DON'T RIVERSIDE DRIVE), the right lane will take you to the WEst Side Highway heading DOWNTOWN. Once below 57th street you want to go east to Broadway (5 blocks). You are able to make a left turn off the WEst Side Highway (think it is now called Joe Dimaggio Highway). Signs will indicate the streets where you are permitted to make a left turn to get to the theater district.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Neal Sanders

K, leaving after 5 p.m. is a bright idea. The traffic on I-95 won't start getting heavy until you get down to near New Haven and, by then (7 p.m.), things will have started thinning out rapidly. Apart from some possible congestion around Stamford and through the Bronx, you're looking at a maximum 3 1/2 hour drive into Manhattan.

RQF has exactly the right idea; once you cross into New York City, stay on the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95) to the last exit in Manhattan (clearly marked), which is the West Side Highway. Just keep following the signs for the GW Bridge through the very confusing series of interchanges in the Bronx.

Incidentally, there are no tolls in the southbound direction.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:53 AM
KenCT

In my original reply, I answered the question asked, but I definitely agree with the poster who suggested taking the train.

By the way, leaving Providince at 5 if you expect to catch an 8:00 show is cutting it very close, and parking in the Times Square area can be a nightmare.

I live in New Haven and rarely drive in. Trains leave every hour and take about the same amount of time as driving. Plus you can have a couple of cocktails after the show without worrying about the drive.

We New Haveners argue a lot about pizza, but whether you go to Pepe's or Sally's, you're going to wait in a l-o-n-g line. Modern Pizza on State Street is as good and with less wait. There's also a brewpub called BAR on Crown Street which uses the same ingredients and produces a great pie. Just as people say you can't get a bad meal in Paris, it's hard to get a bad pizza in New Haven.

Now if I were in Providence with theater tickets in New York, I'd scratch driving altogether and take Amtrak from Providence to New York. It will take only a couple of hours and goes right into Penn Station which is only a short walk or cab ride to most of the theaters.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Howard

As a previous posted note, forget about making an 8 p.m. theater performance if you're leaving Providence at 5. No way, not even close!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Neal Sanders

KenCT and Howard, umm, K says he/she is headed "to mid-town west (theater district)". Unless I missed something, that doesn't limit K's final destination to the Belasco Theater!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 09:33 AM
x

OP said "going to theater district" not going to see a show that night. I assume he/she meant a hotel in that area.
Obviously, you couldn't get from Providence to NYC in three hours in time to par and see a show!!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Howard

Gee, I'm sorry. Does that mean KenCT and I will be shot at dawn?
Loosen up, folks!
If you decide to drive, I'd suggest crosing over to the Merritt Parkway in Milford, CT (Exit 36 or 37 on I-95, I believe) and continuing on when the Merritt becomes the Hutchinson River Parkway in NY. It's much more pleasant ride. You can then cross over to the west side by taking the Cross County Parkway west to Henry Hudson Parkway south, which leads into the West Side Drive.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Neal Sanders

Shot at dawn? Of course not. Consigned to sit in traffic on 1st Avenue waiting to go uptown on the FDR Drive at 5 p.m.? Maybe....

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:04 PM
K

We appreciate all of the information and taking the train seems to be looking better all of the time.

No, we are not trying to make the performance the same day we're coming into N.Y. We were planning on spending the next day in N.Y., see the show then drive out the following morning. So actually we're in N.Y. for 2 nights.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:14 PM
xxx

If you're planning on staying in a hotel in NYC anyway for 2 nights, and you're not in a rush, why would you park in Connecticut and take a train in? I think people suggesting that might have assumed that you just wanted to come into the city for a day or evening and then leave right away so they suggested avoiding the driving and parking hassles. If you drive into the city in the evening, the traffic will be much less, and if you plan to just go to your hotel and park, there shouldn't be a problem assuming you don't have anyplace special you need to be that night. Then, you can get up early the next day and have the whole day ahead of you

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Howard

Thank you. Neal. That seems a much more appropriate punishment to fit the crime!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:40 PM
easterner

Just to reiterate my earlier response to your posting, if at akk possible take the train. With the new track work and new trains, it's really quite pleasant. I agree with others as to the most direct route to the west side being the Cross Bronx Expressway. However, they neglected to inform you that there are only two times when you want to be on the C/Bronx.1=Never and 2=Never Ever. All of us out here have more than once had to sit for hours on that God awful excuse for a highway sometimes waiting and waiting to find out that the delay was simply "volume".
If you decide to drive, go any way but that!! Oh yeah, someone else also suggested a pizza stop in New Haven and they suggested two other locations in addition to the two I gave. Good, but to say they are just as good as Pepe's or Sally's is blasphemy!! GOOD LUCK.