Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving Los Angeles to Portland (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-los-angeles-to-portland-190280/)

Bonnie Sep 19th, 2001 08:50 PM

Driving Los Angeles to Portland

Due to difficulties with getting decent airfares and lousy flight schedules, I've decided to just make the drive. I have to head up for a month long work project, so it appears to make more sense to just drive and bring my own company car. I'm thinking about making the trip over a maybe 3 or 4 days. Anything of interest that I should plan to stop and see along the way? Are there two decent routes, so that I can see a little different scenery on the way up vs. the way back? Any suggestions of reasonably priced lodging choices that would provide safety for a woman traveling alone? Any convenient, inexpensive food choices along the way? I'd like to make this journey into a mini-roadtrip with some enjoyment and yet don't have a big budget. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bonnie Sep 19th, 2001 09:36 PM

By the way, I should have clarified that it is Portland, Oregon that I'm heading to. Thanks again.

BTilke Sep 20th, 2001 01:34 AM

We've made the drive from Portland to Agoura Hills and back a couple of times. I suggest stopping one night in Ashland, OR. Some excellent B & Bs there and some nice motels--any of them would be safe choices for a woman driving alone. Also, it's a good stopover before making the last part of your drive up to Portland. Some nice restaurants and shops in Ashland, too. Eugene, OR, would be a good place to stop for lunch if you leave early from Ashland. <BR>In the California part of the drive, we didn't do any special detours or visits--just plugged away. <BR>On the way back, you might want to drive from Portland to Cannon Beach, stop overnight somewhere along the coast (but not Lincoln City or Newport) then head south on route 101 to Florence, head in toward Eugene and pick up I-5 outside Eugene. To be safe, plan to do your driving only during daylight hours and then pull into a motel/hotel right after dark (preferably one with a restaurant nearby for dinner). <BR>BTilke <BR>P.S. One of our favorite drives was from SF back to Portland in 1997. We had just come back from a month in Paris with our dog and rented a Lincoln Town Car for the one-way drive home. Instead of spending the night in the hotel, we pulled over on the side of a small road outside Ashland, watched the Hale-Bopp comet (think it was Hale-Bopp) and slept in the car. I wouldn't do it alone, but we enjoyed it.

sandy Sep 20th, 2001 07:54 AM

The Oregon Coast is amazing. If you can, stop in Bandon and go for a walk on the beach. The rock formations are really gorgeous. We stayed int he Best Western Inn at Face Rock. I can't remember much about the room, but the restaurant was terrific!

G Sep 20th, 2001 08:28 AM

Hey Bonnie. <BR> <BR>My husband and I live in Olympia WA and we are taking a driving trip to LA and San Diego the first of Nov. Any suggestions on places to stay in Santa Monica or Hersoma Bch? We are looking for a hotel with a fitness center. How about San Diego? Thanks and have a safe trip.

Bonnie Sep 20th, 2001 10:52 PM

Thanks for the advice! <BR> <BR>G - My favorite hotel in San Diego has to be the Hotel Del Coronado. I just love being over on the island. Hope you enjoy your time down here in the southland. <BR> <BR>

BTilke Sep 21st, 2001 06:47 AM

Bonnie, <BR>Check the Sunset Mag web site (www.sunset.com)--they are running a feature on interesting drives, etc., in California and you might find something that fits in with your plans. <BR>BTilke

top Sep 21st, 2001 06:54 AM

ttt