Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   driving in LA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-in-la-306085/)

Joanel Apr 11th, 2003 08:53 AM

driving in LA

How bad is the driving on the weekend from santa monica area to getty museum and to the huntington museum/gardens?<BR><BR>how much time to allow?<BR><BR>thanks

rjw_lgb_ca Apr 11th, 2003 09:11 AM

Weekend traffic is usually not that bad to these places. However, you won't see gridlock at the Getty until you're actually driving into the parking structure (off of Sepulveda). From SM, I would give myself 30 minutes to the Getty, but it should take no more than 20.<BR><BR>It's been years since I've been to the Huntington. I'd give it 45 minutes-- and with luck it'll only take 30 (I'm serious, weekend traffic is much easier than during the week).

Hiroshi Apr 11th, 2003 05:48 PM

Santa Monica to the Huntington isn't that long but isn't short either. My guess is 15 miles. There may be slow traffic on I-10 near Downtown and again near Dodger Stadium on I-10 because of people trying to get onto the I-5. DO NOT DRIVE on the far left lane in this area!<BR><BR>Once on the Pasadena Freeway (110) it is fast and fun (curvy)

tmway2000 Apr 21st, 2003 12:24 PM

Actually, I would advise a different route from the westside to Pasadena. Take 405 N to 101 E to 134 E to 210 E. Sounds confusing, but it's not since you're basically just headed eastwards. The reason I'd recommend this way is because there is WAY less traffic in the Valley than in mid-LA. You might hit a snag on the 405/101 interchange, but otherwise it should be moving along relatively nicely. The 134/210 area will be a breeze. I'd say 30 mins total for the drive time. Also, the Huntington is a closer to the 210 than the 110 freeway.

Hiroshi Apr 21st, 2003 07:48 PM

Oh, why didn't I think of this. Tmway2000 has a good suggestion.

clarkgriswold Apr 21st, 2003 10:21 PM

If you head for Huntington mid-morning, you won't hit any traffic on Sat or Sun. Lots of good lunch spots in Pasadena, then head to the Getty in the afternoon. Take 210 west to 134 west to 101 north, exit Sepulveda, turn left onto Sepulveda, take Sepulveda over the Santa Monica mountains right to the Getty doorstep. (This is an interesting route for an out-of-towner.)<BR><BR>The Getty is open until 9pm on Saturday, and it is not crowded after 5pm. The sunset is often gorgeous.

Clematis Apr 21st, 2003 10:26 PM

I'd allow more time even on the weekend. Remember you have to have a reservation for the Getty. <BR><BR>Driving to the Huntington, you never know when you'll hit a jam due to an accident. Also, the Huntington is a ways from the freeway. From SM , as a non-resident driver, I'd allow 1 hour. Better early than late.

SAB Apr 21st, 2003 10:48 PM

You don't need a reservation for the Getty on the weekend, but it is better to get there early, preferably when it opens so that you don't have to be concerned about looking for a parking place. Went about 4 weekends ago on a Sunday and got there at opening, very little traffic and easy parking.