Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   driving in big sur (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-in-big-sur-163074/)

tom o Jan 13th, 2003 07:27 AM

driving in big sur

just back from big sur---we went down past big sur--about 25 miles to "Lucia"-the drive was fabulous--maybe even more spectacular that around big sur--and discovered a monastery around lucia--any questions?

Unbelievable Jan 13th, 2003 11:39 AM

tom<BR><BR>Terrific post, tom. What was your gas mileage? What type of car did you drive? Did many bugs splat on your windshield?<BR><BR>By the way, tom, it's Big Sur.<BR><BR>Unbelievable

Karen Jan 13th, 2003 11:57 AM

Dear Unbelievable,<BR>Are you having a bad day? do you really find it necessary to be rude to him out just because he is sharing trip info? I guess your postings are very eloquent and Mensa-like. This is what the board turns into sometime, rude people who berate other people just because they are sharing their trips stories or asking questions. if it is such a waste of time maybe you should be doing something else besides chewing out people on Fodors. <BR>

J Correa Jan 13th, 2003 12:04 PM

tom - I've never been to the monastery near Lucia - what was it like? <BR><BR>Also, did you stop for lunch anyplace along the way? Any comments?<BR>

lee Jan 13th, 2003 12:07 PM

It would be nice if we could meet posters like &quot;Unbelievaable&quot; in person. Pathetic little anonymous cyber bullies. Hypocritical at best, mean #*%holes at worst.

RnR Jan 13th, 2003 12:22 PM

Yes, we're staying at Cambria Beach near San Simeon - do you have any suggestions about restaurants?

ttt Jan 14th, 2003 10:34 AM

Topping

tom o Jan 14th, 2003 12:29 PM

the monastery setting at lucia is spectacular---the drive itself is amazing--and then the monastery is up on a hill overlooking the coast-- I just stopped briefly at the bookstore--it was gettign dark--i think you can stay there if you like--lucia really is just a motel and a restaurant adn store--but in a great setting--esalen is about half-way between big sur and lucia. you generally can also stay at esalen--but it would be somewhat rugged--bunks or a shared room unless you are a group of 3 or 4.

Thomas Jan 14th, 2003 09:39 PM

Yeah Esalen is rugged. If you have $200 a night plus you can find out just how rugged. <BR><BR>Wondering Tom, how is it you &quot;went past&quot; Big Sur but were at Lucia Lodge area and the Hermitage? They are both located in Big Sur (which is an area, not a town in case you didn't notice as you zipped by).

David Brewer Jan 15th, 2003 04:32 AM

Drove down the coast from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Absolutely wonderful. Having admired one view found an even better one round the corner. ...and the seals lyingon he beach. Only one snag greedy gas stations. Take advantage of the remoteness to charge $3.50 for a gallon!! Still cheaper than in England though. Missed the monestry somehow.<BR>David