Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving from Santa Barbara to LA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-from-santa-barbara-to-la-705941/)

Salmon1 May 17th, 2007 12:15 PM

Driving from Santa Barbara to LA

I am leaving Santa Barbara about 9 a.m. on June 6 (Wednesday) and spending the day in LA with my wife. She has never been to LA but we only have a few hours. We have lunch scheduled at the Ivy at 1 p.m. and will shop that area, Rodeo, and see the chinese theatre.

Question: What is the best (most scenic) route into LA? How long will it take? Is Muholland Drive a possible route? Will traffic be an issue at this time?

We are going to leave town around 3 or 4 and head to San Diego. From the Ivy, what is the best route out of LA and to San Diego?

Thanks,
Ryan

Salmon1 May 17th, 2007 01:05 PM

Could I take 101 into LA, get off on Muholland, and back on 101 and some how end up at the Chinese Theatre? From the map, it looks like I should do Chinese Theatre first, then Rodeo Dr. Eat at the Ivy, post lunch shopping on Melrose. Exit LA. My wife will be thrilled...I exhausted. Regardless, need help on specifics...especially with how to get out of town. Thanks...sorry so long winded.

Cali May 17th, 2007 08:30 PM

If you head for San Diego at 3 -4 PM on a weekday you will have lots of traffic. Could you look around the LA Area for a few more hours and leave for SD about 7 PM - think the traffic would be better. You don't have much time between 1 PM and 4 PM if you are having lunch at The Ivy and then going to Rodeo and The Chinese Theatre. Are you trying to drive Mulholland to see the view or do you have another reason. I personally would skip it with such a short trip. You could drive down the Coast Hwy from up by Oxnard and then go into Beverly Hills off of Sunset Blvd and that route is nice. You can see homes on the ocean in Malibu and then into Pacific Palisades and Brentwood and Bel Air and Beverly Hills. That would be my choice over Mulholland.

janisj May 17th, 2007 09:05 PM

If I had a choice I'd rather poke a stick in my eye than start out from LA at 4p.m. on a weekday. What is the rush? Lunch at the Ivy will last about 1.5 - 2 hours so you won't have much time afterwards to see/do much. And you'll only have a couple of hours free before lunch.

I would definitely hang around LA until the commute rush is over . . . .

mlgb May 18th, 2007 07:08 AM

I agree. Driving to San Diego is horrible at most times. I would leave after 8pm.

Salmon1 May 19th, 2007 03:26 PM

We have to be in San Diego by 7. Also, can you specifically tell me the route out of LA and into LA. Forget Mulholland. Route me from Santa Barbara through Oxnard to coastal hwy and onto sunset. Can I take Sunset all the way into town.

janisj May 19th, 2007 03:46 PM

Then if you must be in SD by 7:00 - I would leave LA directly from the Ivy. You probably won't get out of there until 2:30 oe 3:00

from the Ivy I'd go 405 to I-5 and straight to SD.

trippinkpj May 19th, 2007 05:26 PM

ITA. I would leave by 2:30/ 2:45 and do take advantage of the carpool lanes. Can you get an earlier lunch reservation at the Ivy?

trippinkpj May 19th, 2007 05:28 PM

FYI, you will be hitting San Diego rush hour also. Either time. Good luck!