Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving from San Francisco to LA - what's doable in one day (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-from-san-francisco-to-la-whats-doable-in-one-day-1653715/)

andyg5056 May 23rd, 2018 02:58 PM

Driving from San Francisco to LA - what's doable in one day

Newbie to this forum...

So We'll have two days only to drive from SF to LA at the end of June. Want to make the most out of this drive. Will depart early morning and drive down the Pacific Coast Highway for a while and would like to cross over to Yosemite National Park. The destination point is North West of LA International Airport and We could arrive late at night.

Now, for the driving part. Planing mainly on driving with short to moderate stops along the coast, all the way to Big Sur. From there I'd take the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road to cross over the mountains, drive toward Visalia or farther if I can find a place to crash for the night.Again depart early morning and visit part of Yosemite NP, no hiking, just short to moderate stops. Want to see giant sequoias (the General???), maybe drive the Tioga Pass Rd, or stay on the west side of the NP??? I know 2 days in not enough, but I'm thinking it'll be more of "where we'll spend more time on our next vacation" experience.

Would be grateful for any suggestions how to maximize our scenic drive. Also, where to get on the Pacific Coast Highway when departing San Francisco?

TIA.

AustinTraveler May 23rd, 2018 04:25 PM

Personally, I think this is crazy but it's your trip. Also, I think you're confusing Yosemite with Sequoia, which is where General Sherman is located. Yosemite would be way out of your way. If it was me, I would drive to Monterey, spend the day exploring Big Sur. Then go back to Monterey for the night. Next day take the 101 down to L.A., leaving early, and spend some time in Santa Barbara. The N-F road is a long ways down the coast (just before you get to Gorda). You really only need to go as far as McWay Falls to see the best sights Big Sur has to offer. N-F Road is very steep, no guard rails, very slow going, and in some places, only one lane. It will take you at least 1.5 hours just to get to the 101, and then you still need to drive to Visalia.

Jean May 23rd, 2018 05:47 PM

If not crazy, probably not enjoyable.

San Francisco and Yosemite Valley are on the same latitude, so the first half of your plan is a half circle that would take nearly 9 hours not counting ANY stops. If this trip is June 2018, and you want to spend the night in/near Yosemite, you need to see if you can find lodging availability.

Then, Yosemite Valley to Santa Barbara, staying west of the Sierra, involves some backtracking and would take at 6.5 hours. Or driving Tioga Pass to the eastern side of the Sierra to Santa Barbara would take 11.5 hours. Santa Barbara to "NW of LAX" could take 90 minutes or 2 hours depending on the day of the week and time of day.

If you were thinking of spending the night in/near Santa Barbara, one-night reservations are very hard to find between Thursday and Sunday.

janisj May 23rd, 2018 06:49 PM

>> drive down the Pacific Coast Highway for a while and would like to cross over to Yosemite National Park. <<

Crazy, not enjoyable, and close to impossible. But even IF it was possible why would you hit Visalia before YNP? Makes no sense at all. San Francisco down the coast say to Monterey into Big Sur, then to Yosemite (skipping S/KC), Santa Barbara and on to LAX is almost 800 miles -- some high speed but much over very slow roads and easily 16+ hours butts-in-seats car time. So with just minimal fuel/rest/meal stops you are talking about 18 - 19 hours. You would not have time to see or do anything except drive.

SF, Big Sur, YNP, Sequoia, LAX is not possible in a 2 day drive. And Tioga Pass is TOTALLY out of the question. So can't really help you with driving suggestions. Come back with a more realistic plan and we definitely can help you.

emalloy May 24th, 2018 02:59 AM

Since this is a trip to just see what you want to visit next, I'm going to suggest this for a trip to hit the highlights.

Leave San Francisco very early in the morning and head for Yosemite. If the traffic gods are good to you, you might get there by late morning. Spend two or three hours in Yosemite and then head for Monterey for the night.

From Monterey, head down the coast, see Big Sur, stop in to Julia Pfiffer Burns State park to see some big trees, then head for LA.

As mentioned, this is a lot of seats in the car time and you won't get to see much more than Yosemite Valley and some of the coast, but you can tell your friends that you've "been there, done that".

andyg5056 May 24th, 2018 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by AustinTraveler (Post 16734786)
Personally, I think this is crazy but it's your trip. Also, I think you're confusing Yosemite with Sequoia, which is where General Sherman is located.

You're absolutely right, along with everyone else questioning my sanity :lol: The only thing close to visiting Yosemite would be driving via Tioga Pass. But it's way too far up North as all noted. Yosemite trip will happen one day and for a whole week. This time just trying to see General Sherman and/or Giant Sequoias, this would save me a day when coming back to Yosemite. And that trip would involve more hiking then driving.

Originally Posted by AustinTraveler (Post 16734786)
The N-F road is a long ways down the coast (just before you get to Gorda). You really only need to go as far as McWay Falls to see the best sights Big Sur has to offer. N-F Road is very steep, no guard rails, very slow going, and in some places, only one lane. It will take you at least 1.5 hours just to get to the 101, and then you still need to drive to Visalia.

I knew what kind of a road it is & I'm OK with that, as long as the weather is decent and I'm driving before the sunset. Drive like this is an attraction on it's own, or I am crazy after all... . What I was wondering if it would save any time rather then backtracking from Big Sur to Monterey. But, again all of the replies made me reevaluate the drive and spending a night on Monterey is a great idea, Monday night lodging should be easier to find then on the weekend too.

So my question for day 2, Departing Monterey, driving to see the General Sherman or the Giant Sequoias and arriving in LA even late evening or even at night, are the Sequoias the only thing to see on the way? Would I have any time even to attempt any other attraction near the route? It's easy to estimate driving time on major roads, but once I get into the SNP roads??? If I take 180 west from Fresno to 198 south, what would be the possible drive time before I get near Visalia? Or should I enter from Visalia end and just return the same way I drove in?

Thank you all.

Jean May 24th, 2018 07:21 AM

You must like driving, but I don't think you're grasping the distances involved in your plans. If you use Google Maps for driving estimates, make sure the routing is on the roads you're talking about and then add at least 10% to the time. When you get within an hour of Los Angeles, forget Google's driving estimates. Predicting L.A. traffic is a fool's game.

If you're already planning to return to California to spend a week in Yosemite, then leave the Giant Sequoias for that trip. There is much more to see in the Sequoia and Kings Canyon parks than just the giant trees. And driving the coast shouldn't feel like a race to the finish line.

FYI, speed limits inside all of these national parks is 30 mph, strictly enforced.

janisj May 24th, 2018 08:28 AM

OK -- where are you from? One of those teensy east coast states where everything is close by ;)

Your new plan is no better than the first one.

Monterey to Red Fir/the General Sherman Tree to LAX is nearly 500 miles and a 10 hour drive if you just stop for gas and fast food. If you are going to visit YNP on a future trip, do Sequoia then. Makes no sense on this trip.

StuDudley May 24th, 2018 09:24 AM

>> When you get within an hour of Los Angeles, forget Google's driving estimates.<<

Same with departing San Francisco on a work day.

Stu Dudley

andyg5056 May 24th, 2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jean (Post 16735058)
You must like driving, but I don't think you're grasping the distances involved in your plans. If you use Google Maps for driving estimates, make sure the routing is on the roads you're talking about and then add at least 10% to the time. When you get within an hour of Los Angeles, forget Google's driving estimates. Predicting L.A. traffic is a fool's game.

If you're already planning to return to California to spend a week in Yosemite, then leave the Giant Sequoias for that trip. There is much more to see in the Sequoia and Kings Canyon parks than just the giant trees. And driving the coast shouldn't feel like a race to the finish line.

FYI, speed limits inside all of these national parks is 30 mph, strictly enforced.

Thanks Jean.

Well, I thought I did change the title before posting to two days from one, as I did in the post, I guess I didn't. Now I know why everyone thinks I'm crazy. And I wasn't clear with everything else too, so here we go:

Planning on leaving San Francisco very early in the morning trying to beat the traffic. And for the same reason I do not plan arriving in LA area before 9 or 10pm. Not only aware of the traffic around SF or LA area, also have been to both cities before. My time will be limited, but it's never enough, even if you have couple of weeks, it still won't be enough to see everything as you'd need at least a week allowed for this drive. And that’s not even including Yosemite NP.

After looking thru the google maps again, I'm going back to my original idea of driving on Pacific Coast Hwy 1 to Big Sur with occasional stops here and there. Not planning on visiting any Zoo or Mansions, a scenic drive with some stops if i find anything worth exploring or spending time during the next vacation trip. At this point I’m still thinking (weather permitting) to take the N-F Road cutting thru the mountains and from there, even if it gets dark I can still drive to Visalia and find a place to sleep. That’s approx. half way drive to LA, around 300 miles or so. Next day drive to the Sequoia NP, spend some time in there and start driving to LA. Again, want to stay away from the City until past 8pm or so. Not that bad, it’s a driving trip, not a day at the beach.

My itinerary is not written in stone, trying to get some ideas that could materialize time permitting. If I really like something somewhere, I may just stop and drive straight to LA the next day without thinking twice. There is nothing I have to see, it’s more like I’d like to. And for myself, not for “been there, done that” if that’s what you’re thinking. I don’t mind driving and enjoying the scenery.

Thank you all for your input. I don't take is as a criticism, there are many valid points that helps me rethink my itinerary.

lcuy May 24th, 2018 03:59 PM

Well, if you really want to take the NF road, I would visit Mission San Antonio de Padua at the inland end. It is one of the few California missions that still sits on land that looks like it did back in J. Serras's time. Down about 1/2 mile from there is Fort Hunter Liggett. The main building was designed by Julia Morgan as Hearst's hunting hacienda. When I was young, it was used as a military officer's retreat, and my family spent many wonderful vacations there. WE were there a few years ago , and at that time you could still walk the grounds of the "Hacienda", even if you weren't in the military. Not sure now.

All the roads from the coast to Visalia can really be slow if you get stuck behind slow drivers. On the NF, there is no passing on most of the way. As a matter of fact, in many spots if you meet an oncoming vehicle, one of you is going to have to reverse to where you can pass. If you have the time, this could be an interesting road trip. If it is raining, foggy, or if you happen to be travelling on a busy day, it can also be quite frustrating ride if you're on a tight schedule.

My husband and I drove the N-F road a few years back, and I can attest to the fact that it is terrifying!

Here's some info on the N-F road: Nacimiento-Fergusson Road

janisj May 24th, 2018 04:07 PM

>>Well, I thought I did change the title before posting to two days from one, as I did in the post, I guess I didn't. Now I know why everyone thinks I'm crazy. And I wasn't clear with everything else too, so here we go:<<

I took you to mean two days / one night from the very beginning. And it is still nuts. Are you driving this alone? Then you will have no breaks at all.

If you know you are returning to visit Yosemite in the future . . . add Sequoia to THAT trip. Fly in to SMF or even Reno, visit YNP, head down to Sequoia / Kings Canyon, fly out of LAX or Vegas or Ontario.

Your current plan makes NO sense.

StuDudley May 24th, 2018 04:55 PM

Some of us don't understand why you want to spend so much time on the road sitting in the car and bypass many "off road" A+ sites like Carmel, Pacific Grove, Point Lobos, Spanish Bay, 17 Mile Drive, Pfeiffer Beach, Pfeiffer State Park, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State park/McWay falls, etc. These are not "drive bys".

That NF road could also be clogged with large trucks involved with clearing the mud slide south of Big Sur on the Cabrillo Highway. CA Hwy #1 is not called "Pacific Coast Highway" north of about Santa Barbara. I've never driven this road - but if it is like the roads near where I live between the coast & inland - it is winding & all you can see is tree trunks. Does anyone know if it is scenic????

Visalia and the Central Valley are not scenic at all. Neither is the drive into LA.

You'll see plenty of large redwood trees in the Big Sur area. Drive into Pfeiffer State Park & wander around by car or on foot to see them up close.

Stu Dudley
70 year California native resident

AustinTraveler May 24th, 2018 05:48 PM

N-F Road is scenic, especially when you can see the coast, but you can't really see anything cause you can't take your eyes off the road! There are now yield signs on the one-lane portions, which makes it a little better since most drivers don't know which one is supposed to back up (hint: If you are the car facing downhill, you are the one who needs to back up to let the other car pass by). If I were you, I would not miss Point Lobos, Pfeiffer Beach, Pfeiffer State Park (for the redwoods), and McWay Falls. I would also suggest lunch at Nepenthe but you probably won't have time.

StuDudley May 24th, 2018 08:34 PM

>>I would also suggest lunch at Nepenthe<<

Heaven on earth!!! I have been having lunches or dinners at Nepenthe since around 1960. Last year I had my 70th birthday dinner at Nepenthe. I can afford to have dinners at just about anyplace - but I keep choosing Nepenthe. Lolly's roast chicken, ambrosia burger, great wine list, mountain of French fries. Food quality is B-. Ambience, views, experience, relaxation - A+++++. It would be a shame to drive by Nepenthe and not have dinner/lunch there. Visit the Phoenix shop & relive the 60s.

https://www.nepenthe.com/

Stu Dudley

andyg5056 May 25th, 2018 07:23 AM

Again, thanks to all that responded, but with 2 post per 24 hours period it's only so much I can quote.

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 16735343)

I must disagree, only because there is no plan!!!

It's just a guideline for the most part. The only plan is to take a scenic drive on Highway 1 and end up in LA 2 days later. The factors shaping this drive are: I did drive from LA to Santa Barbara & Malibu before and the mud slide Highway 1 closure south of Big Sur. I would like to break the drive in half and there’s not much to see past the second half and I don’t want to arrive at LA before 8pm or so, mainly to avoid traffic.

The way I see it, it’s approx. 150 miles from LA to Big Sur. Even if the average speed limit would be 25~30 miles per hour, it’ll take 5~6 hours to get there. So if I add few stops here and there (mainly in Big Sur, others would be more of a photo opportunity only). I do not plan any hiking, I did plan of stopping for late lunch / early dinner at the Nepenthe. Then, I’ll try to get on a major road before it gets dark and I can drive for 2 or 3 more hours before taking a rest. When in S.F. I plan on visiting Muir Woods for the Redwoods. Already purchased a parking pass there, just in case, but I know it’ll be very crowded there on the weekend, Considering Big Basin Redwood NP as alternative. Thanks for the info on Julia Pfeiffer Burns NP, who knows… My dream was to drive thru the Avenue of the Giants, but unfortunately I won’t have time to go so far up north.

And for those do not miss places, I’ll be able to stop and take a short walk around most of them. For example, how much time do actually need at the McWay Falls if I don’t plan on any hiking? If I leave at the day break, take away the driving time and it still leaves me half of a day to walk around places and get to a major road at the end. I’m looking at it as a “SCENIC DRIVE” with stops, not a hiking journey.

I cannot change my time allowance in S.F or for the only 2 days I have for this drive. Trying to make the best of it. It’s still better alternative than staying in S.F. day longer and driving straight to LA. I’m from Mid-West, I’ll come back to hike the Yosemite, but I’m planning on staying in the park for the most part. Who know when the next opportunity will be for me to drive on the Highway 1 again. So, It’ll be as I stated before, a scenic drive with mostly photo opps and short extrusions accept for long stop at Big Sur.

If someone could answer one question for me, it would be greatly appreciated: would I miss much in scenic drive terms, if I get on the Highway 1 at Santa Cruz, coming off Highway 9 from S.F.? Or should I just stay on it from the start???

Thanks for the great info on the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, the link for Nepenthe web site (I found a link there to the current mud slide related road closures) and all those not to miss stops. It helps me to focus on what’s best to see, thank you all.

And As I mention before, none of this is written in stone, I may turn the Highway 1 drive to 2 days, if I really like where I’m at and just want to spend more time there. Also, it’s all weather permitting too, no one has control over that. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this drive will happen.

P.S. I did many road trips in my life and there's no need to stress out over a plan - that's when Murphy's Law come in play when trying to stick to it ;)

Patty May 25th, 2018 08:11 AM

I'd visit Henry Cowell Redwoods on your way south from SF. Currently Julia Pfeiffer Burns is only open west of Hwy 1 which includes Partington Cove and McWay Falls. The east side is still closed from fire/floods. McWay Falls can be a quick stop. It's a short walk to the viewing area. You can even see it from the highway.

Here's what's currently open/closed in Big Sur ALERTS IN EFFECT for the Big Sur Area

Hwy 1 between SF and Santa Cruz is scenic but not as dramatic as Hwy 1 in Big Sur.

If you decide to head to Sequoia, there are construction delays this season on 198 https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvis...nstruction.htm If you end up driving from Monterey, I would enter via 180, make a quick stop at Grant Grove and then drive south to the Sherman Tree/Giant Forest area.

janisj May 25th, 2018 08:40 AM

>>Originally Posted by janisj https://www.fodors.com/community/ima...s/viewpost.gif
I must disagree, only because there is no plan!!!
<<

By 'Plan' I meant your insistence on trying to fit in Sequoia. That simply does not make sense. It now seems you are at least considering scratching that idea.

andyg5056 May 25th, 2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Patty (Post 16735643)
I'd visit Henry Cowell Redwoods on your way south from SF. Currently Julia Pfeiffer Burns is only open west of Hwy 1 which includes Partington Cove and McWay Falls. The east side is still closed from fire/floods. McWay Falls can be a quick stop. It's a short walk to the viewing area. You can even see it from the highway.

Here's what's currently open/closed in Big Sur ALERTS IN EFFECT for the Big Sur Area

Hwy 1 between SF and Santa Cruz is scenic but not as dramatic as Hwy 1 in Big Sur.

If you decide to head to Sequoia, there are construction delays this season on 198 If you end up driving from Monterey, I would enter via 180, make a quick stop at Grant Grove and then drive south to the Sherman Tree/Giant Forest area.

Great info, thanks Patty!!!

Now, looking again at the routes from S.F. to Santa Cruz, I'm not sure If there would be any advantage of going via 280 & San Jose over the Hwy 1. The route 17 South of San Jose doesn't seem like a road with any higher speed limit then the Hwy 1 & the Google shows almost the same drive time estimate. It's my backup route plan if I don't get to visit Muir Woods, otherwise it'll be Hwy 1 from the start.

janisj May 25th, 2018 03:22 PM

Don't go to Muir Woods - it get very crowded and you must pre-booked a timed ticket to enter the park. Go to Henry Cowell -- better park, less crowds, and on your route.