Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving from S.F. to Mendocino--wineries along the way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 01:29 PM
Mary

Would love to hear from folks familiar with good wineries to visit on the way from S.F. to Mendocino. All routes and suggestions welcome.

Also, if you have favorite activities/restaurants in Mendocino, we would love those suggestions, as well.

Thanks in advance!

Mary

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 01:51 PM
Monica Richards

From SF to Mendocino, the route I would take is 101 to Cloverdale, and then take whatever road it is (number escapes me) that goes through the Anderson Valley to Mendocino. It's less windy than cutting over at Ukiah (further North on 101) and my favorite winery of all time, Yorkville, is in the Anderson Valley. Yorkville has some great red wines, most particularly their Petite Verdot. Also good is Husch Cellars, for a light white Chenin Blanc that is the perfect appetizer wine. Before you get to Cloverdale on 101 you go through Santa Rosa, and there are lots of wineries clustered around there as well.

As far as restaurants, we really like The Rendezvous in Fort Bragg. It's off of Main street, in a converted house and the food and atmosphere are excellent. The last time we visited we went to the Albion Inn, which I felt was pretentious and overpriced for no good reason. I think the SF elite go there to see and be seen. We were rushed through our meal, which I didn't feel was any better than many other restaurants in the area (although everyone swears by this place).

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 04:13 PM
kam

Think it's hwy 128 that goes through Anderson Valley. Two good restaurants are John Ash & Co at the Vintner's Inn in Santa Rosa and the restaurant in Bodega Bay across the street (and owned by) the Inn at the Tides. Oh, one more, the St. Orres Dining Room at the St. Orres Hotel in Gualala. Healdburg is also a good wine area--you can pick up a wine map in town.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Kathy

Mary, agree with the above post that John Ash, just outside Santa Rosa is great. It was recently purchased by the Ferrari Carano winery people (a great winery stop which, by the way, has gorgeous gardens and is only 10 min. or so off of Hwy. 101 as you head north--and excellent wines) so it should continue to be super. Bistro Ralph in Healdsburg is a terrific restaurant as well! Further north, the Boonville Hotel on Hwy. 128 in Boonville is always good--and some of our favorite winery stops right on Hwy. 128 are (in no particular order) Pacific Echo (used to be Scharffenberger), Navarro, Greenwood Ridge and Roederer Estate.
As far as favorite activities in the Mendocino area--beach walks, kayaking on the Albion River and Big River, the sea lion "hang out" at MacKerricher Park which is about 20 mi. north, the Fern Canyon walk in Van Damme State Park, walking the headlands near Mendocino Village and the great tidepools in various areas (immediately north of the Village of Mendocino and Jack Peters Creek--before you get to Russian Gulch State Park there are some great ones as well as at MacKerricher). Also there are lots of great hikes all over--and around Jackson State Forest as well. Favorite restaurants include: for more "formal".......Albion River Inn and Stevens Wood (also Cafe Beaujolais, but it just changed hands so everybody is waiting to see what the new owners will do). For casual: burgers in the bar at the Heritage House because it has a great view and there is always a fire in the huge brick fireplace, Mexican food at the Purple Rose in Cleone which is just to the north, or, if it's a nice day, lunch at the Mendo Cafe sitting out on the deck and looking at the ocean. Also enjoy the Moose Cafe and MacCallum House Restaurant in Mendocino--both are somewhere between inexpensive/casual and the prices at the Albion River Inn and (the upper limit) Stevens Wood. Hope this gives you some ideas!

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 06:21 PM
Beth

You are driving in my favorite part of the country. There are some great web sites where you can get more detailed information on the various wineries and restaurants that Monica, kam and Kathy have mentioned. It covers Sonoma County wineries, restaurants and it has links to other site that may be of interest for info about Santa Rosa, traveling up 101, etc. May your travels be safe. Beth

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 07:18 PM
cp

I have 5 winery suggestions for you

1) Outside Healdsburg, to the east is a small winery called White Oak, they do small production, lovely chardonnays. You won't find their wine in Safeway.

2) Should you go the Russian River Route, Dutton Ranch, just outside of Sebastopol is worth a stop. A month ago, I stopped by and found their wine maker actually in the tasting room. They are only open on weekends.

3)/4) Also in the Russian River area are Belvedere and Quivira. Belvedere has lovely grounds and some elaborate gardens in process. The wine is decent too. I drove right by Quivira, but their Dry Creek bottlings are excellent.

5) Up Hwy 128 to the NW of Booneville you will find Navarro. More good stuff.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Mary

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughtful responses--I appreciate it!

Mary

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Caitlin

I second Kathy's recommendation for the restaurant at the Albion River Inn near Mendocino, and recommend the inn too, if you want to splurge a bit. Their website (www.albionriverinn.com) has their menu, I think. I was going to recommend Cafe Beaujolais, but I didn't know it had been sold. If you're going in the summer or early or early fall, definitely stop at the roadside farmstands as you make your way through the wine country; great fresh fruit, and often homemade goodies, as well.