Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving from Quebec to NY - recommendations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-from-quebec-to-ny-recommendations-807668/)

Sakura27 Sep 25th, 2009 12:40 AM

Driving from Quebec to NY - recommendations?

Going to NY (Central Valley) from Quebec using the Interstates Highway and considering two ways to cross the border; I-87 or I-91.
Our trip is exactly in a weekend of the Thanksgiving Day (in U.S., Colombus Day) so we expect to hit some traffics which we hate. We are departing at Quebec in early-evening of Friday, 9th. Could anybody give us any opinions on choosing the route?

So far, I-87 is the most likely way we might go on as it will allow us to take some rest at the middle and go to the national park beside the road. However, it was said on this forum that I-91 is minor than I-87 so there can be less cars.
Any opinions would be highly appreciated!

J62 Sep 25th, 2009 03:36 AM

Since your destination is literally right off I-87 exit 16 I think taking I87 makes the most sense. (assuming you mean Central Valley, right near Woodbury Commons/Harriman). Any other route will require you to navigate West from I91 to I87, which will add time to your route, likely negating any border crossing saving. Not hard, just adds time.

The I91 route will pass through more scenic fall foliage, and that weekend will be peak fall color, so that's something to consider as well.

As for traffic on I-87 you won't experience any notable traffic for the entire stretch from Canada to Central Valley, so I would not be concerned about that at all. Can't speak for the border crossing.

Scarlett Sep 25th, 2009 05:49 AM

http://fallgetaways.iloveny.com/driving_tours.html

We used to drive to Montreal and Quebec just about every year for a few years.
For the scenic drive we went on the NY State Thruway straight through the Adirondacks, through the Border crossing there which was generally quick, and then straight on that highway to Quebec.

I miss doing that drive, I love the Adirondacks, there are very few , if any, states that are as over-all beautiful as New York :- )
I don't know if this helps, it has been too long since we took this drive but the website is wonderful ..

Scarlett Sep 25th, 2009 05:50 AM

ps- We also ran into snow as early as the first week in Nov.

mclaurie Sep 25th, 2009 08:44 AM

Do you think you're going to do this trip without stopping? It's 7-8 hrs. drive without accounting for delays at the border. If you plan on leaving early evening, you'll be driving at night most of the way. Do you not intend to sleep? It sounds like you're neither Canadian or US so you should check whether you'll need a visa to cross from Canada into the US.

mclaurie Sep 25th, 2009 08:56 AM

PS, if you're thinking you can sleep in your car pulled to the side of the road or in the park, I'm not sure that's true. The park may close at a certain hour.

Sakura27 Sep 26th, 2009 10:10 AM

Thank you for your advices.

Maybe I was not clear enough about my itinerary.
mclaurie, I meant to say that we will leave Quebec City at early-evening and run as far as we can (200-300 miles perhaps), and then stay at a hotel. That is what we have experienced every night during the previous trip so we do not worry about it.
Plus, we have already arranged visa just in case, although we are sure that there is no need to get them for just to cross the border for us Japanese.
Thank you for your consideration, though!

J62, thanks for the useful info about I87 as we were concerning about traffics because even if you could find several possible routes on a map, you could ever know which is the most popular and easiest way from the outside of the country.

Scarlett, thank you for re-assuring me that Adirondacks is exactly where we would like to visit if we could take I87!

In this case it seems we are going to take I87 for sure!
Glad that Adirondacks does not have any door closes (according to their website), so we might take some walk in the next morning.

Thank you guys again for your great help!

J62 Sep 26th, 2009 01:08 PM

The Adirondacks isn't your typical "national park" with limited access. It's actually a large, mostly undeveloped area that's a mix of private and public (NY State park) land. There are many towns, homes, and businesses within the park area.

There isn't any specific sight to see in the Adirondacks either. It's a great place for hiking, camping, mountain climbing, and lots of other outdoor activities in summer & winter.

Scarlett Sep 26th, 2009 04:53 PM

Blue Mountain Lake is beautiful and easy to get to off of the highway, Ausible Chasm is right on the highway, close to the Canada border, that is worth a stop ..
http://www.ausablechasm.com/
We never rode the boats but just walked around the area, it is beautiful and interesting.

We used to go to and stay at the Sagamore ( on Lake George) but you can just go there, park and have a little walk around, have a drink and sit outside or inside and appreciate the view of the lake.

http://www.thesagamore.com/

Before Lake George, you will go by Schroon Lake, where you can stop, drive down by the lake and rest, we would picnic sometimes when we went in early September ..

When you are going, there is no telling what the weather will be like, so the stop at the Sagamore for a drink and a sit by the fire might be the best idea .. Have a wonderful safe trip.. kiotsuketekudasai

Sakura27 Sep 28th, 2009 10:33 PM

J62, I didn't know that. Okay then, we'll just take a walk and stretch ourselves by the lakes and then that would be nice!! :D

Scarlett, arigatou! ;)
Wow, I am almost inclined to go to the Ausable Chasm and try that Raft (looks very exciting!)!!
But going to those two lakes would be easier option to us, per what my BF said. (He has acrophobia, I was slightly disappointed watching him screaming on a Ferris wheel.. :-(

Thanks again guys for all your kind advices!!