Reload this Page >

Driving from Omaha to Phoenix staying a night in Pueblo

Old Aug 21st, 2020, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive from Omaha NE to Phoenix AZ via Colorado Springs

Need to drive to Phoenix from Omaha Ne and wanted to take the scenic route, initially we were gonna go I70 West stop in Glenwood Springs (10 hrs) stay a night and drive the rest of the way via Moab Ut the next day. But with the fires need to change the route. Thought of going via Colorado Springs to avoid the fires Wondered if any one had any suggestions. Also we are getting a late start because of work and leaving NE around noon, we would like to drive at least 10 hrs which would put us around Pueblo or Trinidad CO. Is this feasible and how are those roads at night? Have never driven this route before, Thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 06:43 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the US Forum
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 07:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm originally from Omaha, currently in Mexico, but lived in Ft Collins for a number of years before returning to Omaha. I've driven much (if not all) of your propsed route, both on 2 wheels and 4 over the years. Your options are pretty much unlimited if you're looking primarily for scenic. But you'd need to get off of I-25. How much time do you have budgeted?
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 09:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" How much time do you have budgeted?"

Per the OP, it appears they're looking to stop for one night between Omaha and Phoenix with 10 hour drives both days.
Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 10:05 AM

leaving NE around noon, we would like to drive at least 10 hrs which would put us around Pueblo or Trinidad CO. Is this feasible and how are those roads at night
The main way is all freeway the first day, I-80 to I-76 to I-25, so the quality of the roads is freeway. Denver is one of those unfortunate cities like Seattle where the main freeways form a cross that intersects downtown without offering other obvious routes that avoid going downtown. There is now a partial beltway on the east side but it has a toll and is cashless, but may be worth figuring out how to use in advance if central Denver has bad traffic (I assume everyone is checking google maps or similar for live traffic info). Coming into town via I-76 you should be fine until you get near I-25, then it could be miserable all the way out of town and even down to Castle Rock. Having been stuck in Denver traffic I now prefer to take Hwy 71 from Brush CO south to Trinidad via Limon. This is a rolling highway on the Great Plains, not particularly dangerous in the dark. Then spend the night in Limon instead. Or leave I-80 in York NE and head south to I-70 in Salina then head west on I-70 to Limon so the dark part is all freeway.
Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 04:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Janis, I kinda see that now. When the OP said they had to change their route, that sort of confused me.
Anyway, if scenic is still a priority and you do a first night in Pueblo, an option through Colorado would be 50 west from Pueblo, then catch 285 at Poncha Springs, then eventually catch 160 to Durango. Continue on 160 to 89 on to Flagstaff. That last leg is pretty bleak as it's desert, but not necessarily non-scenic depending on your expectations. Then on to Phoenix. I've driven it and enjoyed the scenery. That said, that route will take longer than if you were pure Interstate.
PS. I have no idea how old you are, or how long you've lived in Omaha. But the leg from South Fork to Pagosa Springs was immortalized (lol) in song by Bill Fries/C.W. Mcall and Chip Davis. Fries was an ad exec for Bozell and Jacobs where my brother used to work back in the day. There's your trivia.
​​​​​​
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 12:39 PM

If you want only one night stay between Omaha and Phoenix, then you need to stick to the interstate. We make this drive every January with an April drive back to Omaha (yes, snowbirds). Since it is summer, I'd go through Colorado and enjoy the mountains - even if you stay on the interstate. If you have the time, I completely agree with baldone's route suggestion. Colorado's Rockies are great this time of year.
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 02:28 PM

Hwy 71 as I suggested above is 50 miles/30 minutes shorter than staying on I-25 and no traffic.

Mountain views along I-25 are best from NM/Raton Pass up to Walsenburg. Views on I-25 north of there are not special.
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 09:37 AM

Also if you are picnicking there is a covered picnic area at the Ludlow Memorial, right off I-25 in southern Colorado. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Colorado.html

It's nice to have a break at a place where there is something to think about, also, on long drive days.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 04:58 PM

...... NE around noon, we would like to drive at least 10 hrs which would put us around Pueblo or Trinidad CO.,,,,,,, That is not going to work very well. It is more than 10 hours to Pueblo unless you have extra fuel tanks and do not need to stop for gas, restrooms, or food. You will gain an hour but that is only a small help. And second, I-25 between Castle Rock and Colorado Spring is under going major reconstruction. The bulk of that work is being done at nights and delays at night can be very long. The toll road, C470, around the east of Denver is smooth and quick. Connects I-76 and I-25 on the south of Denver. Uses license plate tolling. You or the vehicle's owner will get a bill in the mail a couple weeks later. Don't be slow paying it because it will get expensive in a hurry. Personally I would stay in Denver or perhaps Castle Rock overnight and head on to Phoenix in the AM. Pueblo is a bridge too far.