Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving from Omaha to Boston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-from-omaha-to-boston-858595/)

sgoch8 Sep 9th, 2010 06:05 AM

Driving from Omaha to Boston

I would like travel advice from people who have done long road trips by themselves before. I would like to drive from Omaha to Boston (mostly on Interstate 80) in 3-4 days. I would be stopping for at least 2 days to visit a friend in Ann Arbor, MI, then continuing on to visit more friends in Boston and northern MA. I would be driving alone (yes, I'm young, yes, I'm female.) Previous to this, I have driven across Iowa comfortably enough by myself and traveled alone fairly extensively elsewhere (though not driving). Are there specific things I should look out for on this route? I am also thinking that I may take a route around Chicago to avoid traffic. Do people have suggestions for such a route?

emalloy Sep 9th, 2010 07:16 AM

We did the drive from Wyoming to CT on 80 and I must say I hope for the best for you. It is long and has many stretches that might be considered boring.

If you can't avoid Chicago, then try to go through it early on a weekend day, that will cut down on the kinds of things that cause problems like lots of other drivers and road construction delays.

Get a couple of books on tape/cd to keep you company along the way.

Stop frequently at rest stops and walk around a little and have a snack.

Stop at night early enough so that you are not looking for a place to sleep after dark.

Best wishes for a safe trip.

Ackislander Sep 9th, 2010 08:13 AM

It's four 8 hour days, driving time alone, according to Google, and if you stop to walk around, use the bathroom, eat, and buy gas, it will be more like 10 hours per day. Plus your side trip to Ann Arbor.

You should also follow emalloy's other excellent suggestion to stop and check out lodging before dark. If you want to drive in the dark, it is better to get up early than to stay up late. Don't stop anywhere that gives you a bad vibe.

I am going to do a similar trip this winter, and the frustrating thing is that both you and I will be passing close to some wonderful things that we won't have time to look at. The Toledo Museum of Art on your route, for example, is one of the finest small museums in the country, and Cleveland has one of the finest larger museums, plus a great symphony orchestra and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

At least I-80 from Erie, PA, to Boston (after you join the MassPike)is through pretty country.

Tolls and gas and lodging will cost more than airfare, but you sure will see lots more of the country!

cw Sep 9th, 2010 09:26 AM

Check Google maps for possible driving routes. I don't think I-80 is the best route from Michigan to Boston. I-90 would be better, and there is a more Northern route through Canada, and another interstate route South of I-90.

If you're a member of AAA, they can provide you with guidebooks and maps, which will be useful in looking for a hotel in the evening. If you're not a member you might want to consider joining, if only for their roadside support and the peace of mind it brings in case of car trouble.