Driving from NH to OR with 20, 13 & 12 year olds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on driving from Southern NH to the Portland, OR area in mid-late August of this year. We have not planned our route yet & i am looking for ideas on the best "sights" to see along our trip. We will have about a week to get there, 2 days in OR, then another week to get back home. My kids are 20 year old male, 13 year old female & 12 year old male. I like off the beaten path places more than "touristy" places. Like the biggest ball of yarn, weird things like that.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 08:32 AM

If you go through North Dakota, the New Salem Sue Cow is pretty funny. It sits up on a bluff sort of, and is huge! It is the world's largest Holstein cow. Our kids loved it on one of our cross country drives.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 08:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know how much of Oregon you can see in two days.
Will your 20 year old help with the driving? Along your route in South Dakota will be the Corn Palace in Mitchell and Wall Drug in Wall. Of course you will want to see Mt. Rushmore and some of the Black Hills. Try to see Devil's Tower and some of Yellowstone.
Would you consider flying to Chicago and driving from there?
I would drive north from Chicago through Wisconsin and Minnesota to get to South Dakota. Hit Colorado, Nebraska and Iowa on the way back. The world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool is in Glenwood Springs next to I-70 and the Colorado River.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Are you sure you want to spend two weeks in a car driving 6,000+ miles with children looking for big balls of yarn, barns made out of corn cobs, etc.?

Places such as Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone National Park are off the beaten path, but unfortunately they are "touristy."

HTtY
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 10:00 AM

You might also consult the "Weird America" series of books and the RoadsideAmerica.com website for suggestions on odd things to see on your route. We did this for a transcontinental road trip we did last summer and saw cool things like "Foamhenge" and the All Aboard Cafe.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 08:19 AM

The Spam Museum in Austin, MN may be what you're looking for. A great education on Spam and free samples.

If you're driving along the interstate in MN the large Jolly Green Giant is a must see and just off the interstate. He is in Blue Earth.