Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-from-new-york-to-atlanta-ga-1053374/)

mavip Jul 6th, 2015 06:05 AM

Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga

We will be attending a wedding in Atalnta in Sept. We will be drving from NY and want to sightsee
a bit on the way down. We figure 3-4 days to get to Atalnta. Firstly whats the best route without
sightseeing and stopping one night sleeping out ? Secondly are there any recommendations for interesting things to see along the way with stopping 2 or 3 nights? We are two seniors who love to travel and have seen a great deal of this beautifu country, but we are hoping there may be some "hidden" places we may have missed or might want to see again. Thanks for the help.

nytraveler Jul 6th, 2015 08:15 AM

Have you seen a lot in DC (the obvious) and Colonial Williamsburg? What about Monticello?

Sassafrass Jul 6th, 2015 06:46 PM

Asheville, NC.
Great place to stay overnight and even spend a day or two touring. It is Interesting, pretty, fantastic art galleries, plus the ultimate - tour the Fabulous Biltmore Estate.

PaulRabe Jul 6th, 2015 07:10 PM

Franklin Roosevelt felt that driving itself should be an enjoyable activity, not just a way to get from Point A to Point B. As such, he championed routes like the Blue Ridge Parkway, which I recommend as a way to use to get between New York & Atlanta, without feeling like you're trying to escape something or out-race other drivers on the road. Not as fast as I-95, but a LOT more fun.

Sassafrass Jul 6th, 2015 08:18 PM

Second the idea of going via the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is beautiful - and it goes to Asheville.

stumpworks73 Jul 7th, 2015 02:22 AM

Ashville2.

Ackislander Jul 7th, 2015 04:51 AM

Go down as recommended, using I-78, I-81, I-77, I-40, I-75 as a spine that you can hop onto and off of as needed.

Good suggestions for the way down. Don't come back that way. Go to Madison and Athens, Georgia, then blast up I-85 and I-95 to Richmond. Next day go on to Washington. Traffic is no problem between 9-3. Turn east to Annapolis, cross Chesapeake Bay, spend a night in St Michael's or Easton, MD. Drive up the peninsula to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, then the NJTP.

emalloy Jul 7th, 2015 06:24 AM

I like Ackislander's idea, or if you want to see a bit more on the way back, then from Richmond, head down to Williamsburgh then take the Bay bridge/tunnel then up the DELMARVA. Stop at Chincoteague then go up to Lewes, DE and take the ferry to Cape May, NJ and up the Garden State to NY.

mavip Jul 7th, 2015 06:01 PM

Some great idea, thank you all!

Gretchen Jul 8th, 2015 02:34 AM

I-78, I-81, I-77, I-40, I-75

I do not think this is the best route. Come on down to Charlotte on I77, and take I85 to Atlanta. The above route is longer in my opinion and experience.
For example from NYC to Charlotte via the 78,81,77 route it is 11 hours (have done it). Atlanta is 4 hours from Charlotte via 85.

You could certainly come back that way and hit Asheville that way.

As for a stop, there was another thread about stopping on I81 that had ideas of where to stop north of Charlotte.

The Parkways are great experiences to drive--for a SHORT time--50 miles maybe. North of Asheville would be a great stretch and easy access. There is a wonderful Appalachian craft store on the Parkway at Asheville also.

You also might enjoy taking I40 over to Winston Salem and enjoying seeing Old Salem, a Moravian community from the 1700s in a restored portion of town. The Museum of Southern Decorative Arts is also a small treasure there. Winston is a fun little town.