Driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi , We are driving from Las Vegas to Tenya Lodge , two miles from the southgate of Yosemite Park on 10th September in one day . We will then have two full days to explore the park . Can you please tell me the best/quickest route to take at this time .
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Hi joannacrimmens,
The quickest way from LV to Yosemite south entrance is to take the 15 from LV to Barstow, the 58 from Barstow to Bakersfield and then connect to the 99 north. Once you are in Fresno you will take the 41 north to the south entrance. It is a long drive, 7 1/2 hrs., but it is easy driving. The halfway point is my hometown, Tehachapi. We are up in the mountains and we will be cooler than the surrounding cities if you want to take a break and have lunch here.
Have fun,
Michele
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM

The best route, though, takes in the eastern sierra and Tuolumne Meadows and other sites along Tioga Pass Road & Yosemite Valley before arrving in Fish Camp.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM

I agree with Suzie. May I suggest changing your reservation from Tenaya Lodge to Yosemite Lodge in the floor of the Valley, where you will have more of a "Valley Experience." being there in the very early morning and late evening. The drive from the east, as described above, is incredibly beautiful. From LV, find 395 North, take a left at LeVining, up the LeVining grade. You will enter the park just about 10,000 feet. A beautiful drive from there, passing through Tuolumne Meadows and Tenaya Lake.

If you stay at Tenaya Lodge (not to be confused with Tenaya Lake), this would be a very long trip. But if you can get lodging in the park, it would be the way to go.

If you stay at Tenaya Lodge, and drive as described by michele_d above, here is some drive time info. We live in Fresno, and drive to LV frequently to visit family. We have done the drive in as little as 6 hours (only a couple of quick pit stops) and as long as 11 hours (left LV one Sunday afternoon - DON"T leave LV on a Sunday if you travel 15 south. Millions of cars are returning to the LA area!) We probably average about 7 hours with reasonable speed, stops and traffic. From Fresno, you would have another hour + to go to Tenaya Lodge.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"May I suggest changing your reservation from Tenaya Lodge to Yosemite Lodge . . . "

Absolutely -- if there is a room available. But most likely Yosemite Lodge is booked up and Tenaya is the best you can do.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Well even if there is no availibility at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls you can stay at Yosemite View right on the Merced River and just outside the Arch Rock entrance which is way closer than the south entrance. There is avialibility there on Sept 10th.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:54 PM

I agree - Yosemite View, while not as good as the Lodge, would be WAY better than Tenaya for a quick visit to YNP.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi , Thank you for all your comments . Unfortunately Tenya Lodge is fixed in stone , we cannot change this . Many Thanks Jo
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Did you pay in advance? If so, make the best of it and get an EARLY start the day you go to the Valley, before the day trippers and coach groups are on the road.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

That is exactly what we will do , we are looking forward to it so much !
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Unfortunately Tenya Lodge is fixed in stone , we cannot change this .
__________________________________________________ _____________
I don't think it's unfortunate at all. We had to stay there since they don't allow dogs to stay overnight in the park. Turned out a fabulous and memorable time! And we have stayed in the park prior. Do know- there aren't many exciting places to eat around Fish Camp. Eat at the hotel or in the park. And you will LOVE the drive into the valley. And we loathe driving.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the last comment , a little more reassuring !!!