Reload this Page >

Driving From Las Vegas to Palm Desert

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Rachele

I'll be driving from Las Vegas to Palm Desert on April 13. Has anyone made that drive recently? How long does it take? Any place interesting to stop for a quick bite on the way?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:33 PM
tahquitz

Rachele:

If you go the back way, it takes about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours. That would be the I-15 from Vegas to Barstow, then the 247 south to the intersection with Hwy 18 in Lucerne Valley. Then, go east on 247 (Old Woman Springs Road at this point) to the intersection of Hwy 62 in Yucca Valley. Hwy 62 south will take you to a junction with the I-10 west of Palm Springs. I-10 east will take you to the Palm Desert exits (Monterey and Cook Streets). This way will save you tons of time compared to staying on I-15 all the way down the Cajon Pass into San Bernardino, then the 215 to the I-10 east.

The 247 route has that desolate, barren but starkly beautiful look, especially in Spring, when you can see the snow-capped San Bernardino Mountains to the south. You will cross near the epicenter of the '92 Landers earthquake, 7.3 magnitude. The earth is noticibaly scarred and settled in spots near Pipes Canyon Road. As for good eating spots---hmmm---wellll, hmmm. Maybe someone else knows of a "can't miss" in Barstow or Yucca Valley. Can't think of one.

Good luck.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:19 PM
janis

tahquitz has nailed the best route. As for places to stop - well eat a big breakfast in Las vegas, take a bottle of water and munchies and DON'T STOP until you get to Palm desert. It is only 4 hours so drive straight through.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:42 PM
texan

There has been a surprising proliferation of cafes and restaurants between 29 Palms and Yucca Valley. I ate a delicious lunch at a restaurant adjacent to the Harley-Davidson dealer in Yucca Valley last week (south part of town on Route 62)

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Rachele

Thank you so much everybody, particularly tahquitz for the great back way directions -- it definitely looks light a more direct route than the one I was going to take per Mapquest. Muy appreciado.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:23 AM
LUCY

I don't have a map of the area in front of me,so I will do this from memory and you can check a map later, or I am sure someone will correct me.
I went out of Vegas to rt 93 south, west to Goffs, south to Danby, west to Amboy and south to Twenty Nine Palms, then on to Palm Springs.
Now this is not the most direct route, probably a little over 5 hours. But you will see parts of the country most people will never take the time to see. Driving across old Rt.66 is almost spiritual. Check out the names and messages left with rocks on the bank of the north side of the road. Stop in the middle of the road and look back and forth, feel the silence of the desert.
Down near Amboy is some sort of dome that juts out of the desert, also some flats area that looks like Ronald Reagan and his Borax twenty mule team will appear any minute,,,,,,,, ah I can close my eyes and be on that road