Driving from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon South Rim

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mapquest gives the travel time from Vegas to the GC as being almost 6 hours. Is this accurate? I was told by one reservation clerk that it was a 4 hour drive. We will be traveling on a Saturday if that makes any difference. After spending one night and day at the south rim, we would like to see the sunset before heading to Peach Springs for the night. Mapquest gives the travel time as being 3 1/2 hours. What time is the sunset at the South Rim for this time of year? Will we be on the road too late? We will be driving this route on a Sunday.

If it is 6pm in Nevada, what time would it be in Arizona? It would normally be 7pm in Arizona because of the time zone difference. However, since Arizona does not follow daylight savings time, then wouldn't it be 6pm in Arizona because they did not push the time forward in April?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:38 PM

My tripmaker program says that from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon visitor center says is 5 hours. My tripmaker program is usually pretty good on the time. This trip is 280 miles and a little less than half is on interstate highways.

From the S. Rim visitor center to the town of Peach Springs is 140 miles and should take 3 hours.

You didn't mention what month you were traveling. You can check sunsets and sunrises at this website:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

Utahtea

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 04:32 PM

We drove this route in late May and one consideration should be that there was some construction around Boulder Dam which I don't feel would be completed now. This slowed things down so that the trip was closer to 5 hours. You will want your car to be in top shape. The brakes on our new rental heated up during the mid day trip. As I recall we noted on the clocks at the Dam that during daylight savings time that Las Vegas and Arizona were the same time. According to the construction signs we saw they are widening the two lane road and the construction will last until next year.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:49 PM

I just returned from that very trip. The South Rim to Las Vegas was a solid five and a half hours with no stops other than for gas, and I drove a steady 80 MPH on the freeway (speed limit is 75 MPH) and 55 to 70 MPH just about everywhere else. If you drive any slower, you're looking at well over six hours - and it's BORING!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:57 PM

Oh, and I forgot about the time zones. Nevada and Arizona are in the same time zone from April thru October, except for the Navajo Nation which observes daylight savings time and is therefore one hour later than the rest of AZ.

I arrived at the South Rim at 5:30 and the sun was already fading fast. The actual sunset was at about 7:15. We went there specifically for the sunset but it was a big letdown.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:10 AM

We drove to the Grand Canyon South Rim in 5 1/2 hours from the Luxor. The scenery is so different compared to what we have on the East Coast, so we weren't bored at all. The only suggestion I have is to not get gas after you see the Canyon until you are an hour or so away...we paid 2.27 a gallon!!