Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving from LA to San Fran (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-from-la-to-san-fran-1124824/)

dobrien Aug 15th, 2016 05:16 PM

Driving from LA to San Fran

I am taking my granddaughter on a trip. Her and I are flying into Burbank from NY on Saturday, Sept. 10th, renting a car and driving up the coast to San Francisco. 1 night in LA, then driving to Santa Barbara on Sunday afternoon. Our stops are: night 1 LA - drive to Santa Barbara for 1 night, drive to San Luis Obispo fo1 night to Monterey for 2 nights, then to San Fran for 2 nights.

My questions are many: Being that I am an amateur traveler, is this a doable and realistic trip? I sure hope so since everything is paid for. What suggestions would be most helpful for us? Best route of travel most the best views and best times for travel would be really helpful. Thanks so much.

happytrailstoyou Aug 15th, 2016 07:05 PM

This is a leisurely and doable itinerary. There isn't much to say about the routing except to stay on Highway 1. There will be lots of views, and the best ones are the views that appeal to you most.

HTtY

kleroux Aug 15th, 2016 07:56 PM

I think you are allowing way too much time between stops. What is in Santa Barbara that is worth a night stop? How old is your granddaughter. If you are visiting college campuses I can maybe see it, otherwise press on to San Luis and cancel the Santa Barbara hotel.
San Luis has an interesting California Mission and Cal Poly College. Then you can drive up the coast on #1. which is beautiful. If she were in her teens your granddaughter might enjoy the Hurst Castle.
My teen granddaughters enjoyed the seals on the beach more than the castle. They were both 15 at the time. If you cancel your S.B. stop you could spend an additional night in San Francisco which would be worth it. 2 nights isn't really enough time. You won't need a car in S.F. so turn that in, and use public transportation or Uber. Don't miss the Monterrey Bay Aquarium.

DebbieDoesDulles Aug 15th, 2016 09:07 PM

Sounds like a very nice plan, though you don't have a lot of time anywhere, really. Santa Barbara will be fun on Sunday afternoon with all the artists set up along the shore selling their creations, the Wharf abuzz etc.
Traffic will be light heading north along the coast on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday you'll have a nice leisurely drive. From SB, maybe detour up through Santa Ynez to visit a winery or just see the ranch country, then up the 154 to reconnect with 101 North. From SLO you could visit Avila Beach and the Pier, or Morro Bay. Next morning maybe breakfast in Cambria or a tour of Hearst Castle.

The earlier you leave L.A. on Sunday, the easier the traffic will be.

Did you choose a hotel in San Francisco that includes parking in the rates, or are you planning to just drop the car when you get to SF?

dobrien Aug 16th, 2016 05:26 AM

My granddaughter is 15 and I am not sure why I booked Santa Barbara. I cannot cancel the hotel. This trip is mainly a sightseeing trip. A trip to bond with my granddaughter. What is traffic like on 1. Someone had me nervous driving on 1. Will traffic be bad on 1? What time should be leave LA to head to SB? I think maybe I was think of a beach day in SB. Also I am dropping the car off at the airport in Oakland (which is where we are flying out of on Saturday afternoon).

happytrailstoyou Aug 16th, 2016 05:46 AM

There are some beautiful drives and a great deal else to see in Santa Barbara and surroundings. We have stayed there many times, and we will do so again for two nights in September.

Get yourself a good California guide book.

HTtY

PS The ocean water in Southern California is very cold.

Patty Aug 16th, 2016 05:57 AM

Hwy 1 through Big Sur is twisty and winding, particularly in the southern section. It's one lane in each direction and slow drivers can create back ups. There are plenty of turnouts to let other cars pass (which legally you're supposed to do if there are 5 or more cars following).

Keep an eye on the wildfire currently burning in Big Sur http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ust-7-2016.cfm Expected containment is still August 31st so hopefully it won't be an issue at the time of your trip.

kleroux Aug 16th, 2016 06:27 AM

With a 15 year old I would suggest at least a drive through the campus of UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. In Santa Barbara, Sunday at the mission is usually interesting. The Missions are a big part of California history. All are different. I would not worry about the drive up #1 towards Big Sur. If the fire is out and the road open, Its a lovely drive. You can easily find places to pull over if there are cars that want to pass. You'll be on the inside against the mountains, not the coast. I would stop at the Hurst Castle. Make the ticket reservation on line. Be sure and stop at the beach where the seals are. It's just north of Hurst Castle.
I think you can drop your car in Oakland as planned and take Bart back to the city. Maybe checking in at your hotel first. But parking in SF is expensive and you won't need your car. Enjoy your trip with your granddaughter. It's nice bonding time.

sf7307 Aug 16th, 2016 07:54 AM

Your granddaughter (and you) would surely enjoy lunch at the cafe at Nepenthe (Big Sur) - okay food and phenomenal views (prices to match).

You'll be fine driving up the coast - remember, you'll be on the "inside" since you'll be heading north. Do stop at Point Lobos for a walk and some of the most fantastic views anywhere. You might also want to see the "purple sands" Pfeiffer Beach. On your way to San Francisco, spend a few hours at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (check to see that it's open, I'm not sure of the days and hours in September). I also think both of you would enjoy an afternoon in the village of Carmel (along with the beach at the end of Ocean Avenue -- always nice, but particularly nice at sunset)

Christina Aug 16th, 2016 08:48 AM

I wouldn't waste my time driving through college campuses on a vacation trip, and I don't know what the big attraction is of Carmel, frankly. I thought it was pretty boring and don't know why it would be of any special interest to a teen.

I think you should ditch the car at San Francisco, not keep it while in the city to take to Oakland airport, that doesn't seem like a good idea.

I think Santa Barbara is more interesting than some of those ideas, but also think Hearst castle is worth a stop if you have time. I think the 17 mile drive near Monterey is enjoyable, great scenery.

I think your first itinerary is fine, if rushed.

november_moon Aug 16th, 2016 09:15 AM

I think this sounds like a really good itinerary. And i think that a stop in SB is great. My niece is 18 and fell in love with SB a few years ago - so much so that she chose to go to school there. And now I have a "reason" to go to SB for visits :) Nice how it all works out sometimes.

DebbieDoesDulles Aug 16th, 2016 09:59 AM

This video will give you an idea of the drive up route 1 north of San Luis Obispo. There are spots where you can turn out and let faster traffic pass. It looks "scarier" on video than it will feel when you are driving it. If you think you'll get carsick or won't enjoy the drive, you can go up 101 instead but you and your daughter will miss quite an experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQm7l_1T6jA

Where in L.A. are you staying? Leaving in the morning will help you avoid L.A. traffic but you will arrive in SB and probably not be able to check right into your hotel. You could have a late breakfast along the way.

Also, regarding parking in SF which might be a real headache, where are you staying in SF? If it's close to a Bart (subway) station, then that may be the easiest way to get to Oakland airport.

(I am being a bit specific/nitpicky with questions and advice since you call yourself an amateur traveler. The more prepared that you are, the better your trip will be. For instance, know to check the local tv news each morning for any traffic emergencies or fire news along your route, and know what alternate routes are available. There is only one route, really, in and out of Santa Barbara so any fire news regarding that area will mean quite a change of plans. Not something to worry about really, but something to be prepared for just in case. )

Tabernash2 Aug 16th, 2016 10:01 AM

Santa Barbara is a good place to stay the night. Lots of little shops on State Street that a 15-year-old would enjoy, the Mission is cool, you can get dinner at the waterside.

No interest in Hearst Castle? I can highly recommend the Best Western Cavalier, in Cambria, near the Castle, at the ocean. Rooms can have fireplaces and ocean views. Bonfires and chairs are set on the beach every night.

Where are you staying in L.A.?

I'd stay one night in Monterey, and add the extra night to San Francisco. Do you have a hotel in SF yet?

Tabernash2 Aug 16th, 2016 10:03 AM

Don't be afraid of Hwy 1. It's worth the white knuckles. Just pullover to see the gorgeous shorelines.

I also agree you could skip the college tours, unless she's really interested in going to school in CA.

jamie99 Aug 16th, 2016 11:47 AM

Santa Barbara is a lovely town, and on Sunday afternoons they have a nice art show along the waterfront.
I prefer Pismo Beach over San Luis which is not on the coast but inland, however it sounds like for whatever reason you have prepaid the hotels.
The suggestion for Best Western Cavalier in San Simeon is also good, we stayed there once and paid a bit extra for a fireplace room.

november_moon Aug 16th, 2016 01:19 PM

SLO does have a nice, vibrant downtown area though, which may appeal to dobrien and her granddaughter. I think Cal Poly will be back in session by then, so there should be plenty of people out and about.

kleroux Aug 18th, 2016 09:42 AM

I suggested driving through the 2 campus' not taking a tour. At 15 she's only 2 years from graduation. Not too early to think about the future, where ever that college may be. Cal Poly SLO is on the way to Route #1. Since you pass by it, why not drive through it? If you wait until she's a senior to do college tours, it's often too late. Besides, grandparents often have more sway than parents when talking to teens. We found staying near the Hearst Castle a problem because of spotty or non existent wifi. If that is important, consider it.
I agree about Carmel being a bit boring. One or two shops should do it for both of you.
Enjoy your trip.