Romantic things to do for a couple who just moved to nyc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I moved to manhatten a couple months ago but have visited often in the past 2 years. We've both been a little down in the dumps bc we miss our family and life in florida so I want to do some romantic things together to get us in a better mood. Any suggestions?
-1 Idea I had was doing the harbor lights cruise but it seems to get mixed reviews about how packed the boast is and how all the good seats get taken. Plus, we are pretty familiar with the city already. Is it romantic?
-I also thought to bike around central park or even rent a rowboat at the boathouse.
-Wouldn't mind taking the train to LI or jersey either, just don't know what to do there.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM

I was going to recommend a Circle Line Cruise. But if its too crowded, it won't be too romantic.

Since you live in the city, it might be nice to go to the country.
How about an autumn trip to Hudson River Valley. Its especially nice around Halloween in Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow because of its setting for the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I think you can arrive there by boat or train. The Rockefeller estate, Kykuit, is very pretty to visit. And, West Point is also very nice in the Lower Hudson River Valley. There are also nice restaurants, there. I do not know if you have a car. I only travelled there with a car, but maybe others could advise on getting around without a car.

A nice day trip to New Jersey might be the Doris Duke Horse Farm near Princeton, NJ. Princeton is about an hour south of NYC and is a really pretty town. I think the Doris Duke estate is about 45 minutes from Princeton. There are lots of pretty nature trails at her horse farm.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Plan to meet on top the Empire State building late at night? (Or top of the rock)

A stroll in Central Park.

Go over to Brooklyn and walk the promenade at night looking at the lights of Manhattan.

A carriage ride in Central park

A picnic with champagne at the Cloisters

Cocktails at the Rainbow Grill

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM

You need to stop worrying if it's going to be good and "just do it!" You live here. If it isn't perfect, so what?

Get a copy of the http://notfortourists.com/cityMain.aspx?city=NY

and start exploring.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Should add there are DOZENS of other boat cruises you can take besides the Circle Line.

Bateaux NY for dinner
sail-nyc.com
shearwatersailing.com

There is FREE kayaking on the Hudson. Go to the Conservatory Gardens in Central Park. (104 st & Fifth ave.)

Start searching for "your" brunch place.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Museum galleries in the evenings. There's always a quiet spot, even at the Met. The Guggenheim is often less crowded, and even the Museum of Natural History looks more romantic at night

Outdoor concerts in Central Park or at Castle Clinton in Battery Park. This idea is mostly fo next summer, but there are still some shows at The Delacorte Theater (in Central Park)
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM

My daughter and her boyfriend in the city joined the MET and there are many activities for young couples (dont' know your age) and if not that, then something similar for your age group - they love the rooftop nights on the MET, dinners, cocktail parties, openings, etc - and fine them 'romantic' too!

There are lots of sites and spots to visit, but really you will feel less isolated and less 'down in the dumps' if you make friends and get involved where you are - which is why I suggest joining one of the museums and especially one of the groups within a museum - or whatever your interests are - sports, games, theater, volunteering -

there are tons of charitable organizations always looking for help - is there a cause near and dear to you and your husband - helping with fundraisers/openings/cocktail parties - or volunteering - meet some friends !

Neopatrick I agree about the Cloisters - great spot

The New York Botanical Gardens

Carl Schurz Park (Gracie Mansion) - my daughter loves this park - have you visited it yet?

Done all of Central park? Strolled along the LIterary Walk and looked at those statues ?

Search all the threads here on New York and pick some good things to do !
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Pack a picnic and rent the rowboat! Very romantic! or take the picnic on a train to somewhere you've never been.

Both of you go separately to Top of the Rock, and flirt with each other, pretending to be strangers.

Volunteer somewhere. There's nothing like helping pople with problems to make you appreciate your good life.

Go to a bark park and play with other people's dogs.

Get up really early and go watch the sunrise from a park. Pick up bagels and fruit, then go home and eat in bed!
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:02 AM

mcwedding something that my husband and I do some times is have a bottle of our favorite champagne chilling when we go to bed at night. We set the alarm for a weird time like 3:18 am. Then get up share our champagne sometimes taking it with us on a walk, or to a playground and swing or play in the snow if it is winter. Other times we have set up a picnic on our living room floor (same time of night, actally it is the morning!). When we do this we often feel like we are the only 2 people in the whole world. And we are, in our world. The world that even our skin is too much between us. We love to play and find having fun together very romantic. Be creative and whatever you do be happy you are together!
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM

oh and I forgot sometimes we will skinny dip in the lake. Now that is VERY romantic