Skycity restaurant in Seattle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to go to Seattle with DH in May. DH wants to try out the SkyCity restaurant on top of the Space Needle. After seeing the menu, I am having doubts because of the extremely high prices. So I wanted to ask for your opinions. Is it worth it? What dishes would you recommend? Do they allow sharing dishes?

Thank you,
Ellen
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM

We live in the Seattle area and haven't been to the Space Needle restaurant for 15 or 20 years...for the reason you state. Take the elevator to the viewing deck and fill your eyes, then go somewhere else to fill your stomach.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM

The food is reported to be better now than in the past, but SkyCity is not on anybody's list of best restaurants in Seattle.

About fifteen years ago, using a 2 for 1 coupon, I took a visiting friend there for lunch on a clear sunny day. I recall enjoying the changing view as the restaurant rotated.

If you want to know if they will split an entree for an additional charge, call 206 905-2100.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 03:57 PM

I called SkyCity and asked if they split entrees for an additional charge. They don't.

The minimum food charge is $25 at lunch and $35 at dinner.

There is nothing to stop you from sharing if you meet these minimums.

If your heart is set on SkyCity, go at lunch time but only if it is clear and you can see the mountains--Cascades to the east, Olympics to the west, and Mt. Rainier to the south.

Dress is casual. No tank tops.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would pay the $16 per person to go up the Space Needle just for the view.

Then I would go eat somewhere else, at any of many truly GREAT Seattle restaurants.

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Wow, it is $16 to go up the Space Needle? That is expensive. I guess we will just pay $10 extra a person to enjoy a romantic dinner.

Thank you so much for your inputs. Happytrailstoyou, thank you for calling them about splitting entrees. This is exactly what we are going to do then. That way we can still get some wine and maybe dessert.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM

I had the same thought as you when we went to the Space Needle last summer. I figured, just pay the extra and enjoy dinner and the view. However, I remember the minimum per person being $45. So we opted for the elevator ride up and back for $16 each. It was worth it - the view was astounding! I recommend going just before sunset. We then took the monorail back to the downtown area and had a fantastic dinner at Lola's.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM

We just did the elevator, but when you get to the top, the observation deck is stationary. When you are in the restaurant, the floor is moving (albeit quite slowly) as you eat your meal.

When my in-laws went on a different trip, my father-in-law really didn't enjoy eating there on the move.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 07:16 AM

I'm not crazy about revolving restaurants either myself.

Yes it was $16 when I went not too long ago with out-of-town guests. The evening we were there, there was a wine tasting, so we paid just for the elevator, then also paid and had a glass of wine at the Observation Deck.

It's not a high up but the Smith Tower has an observation deck around the Chinese Room that is a lower admission price and gives a decent view, from a different perspective than the Space Needle (down in Pioneer Square).

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Forget the Space Needle. Go across town to the Smith Tower. The Smith Tower is open in May 7 days/wk from 10 am until sunset and costs $7.50. The view is incredible and considered by many people to be better than the Space Needle. We were there two years ago and can recommend Jazz Alley for great food with a very romantic atmosphere with entertainment. Other outstanding dinners (all downtown):
Elliott’s on the waterfront (wonderful dungeness crab),
Oceanaire,1700 Seventh Ave (where I tasted white salmon for the first time), the Triple Door (Pan-Asian, located beneath the Wild Ginger restaurant). Have fun! It's a wonderful place and I can't wait to go back!
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

There seems to be so many good restaurants in Seattle. We are going to be there for 3 dinners and 4 lunches. I will have to plan well to cover at least the top ones, like Etta's, Lola,and Dahlia. We will definitely visit the Space Needle for the night view, but maybe also Smith Tower for the day view. I want to see both. As for dinner at SkyCity, DH talked about it again last night. I guess we are going for sure since he is so looking forward to it. We will just try to keep the check under $100. Afterall, it is our first time to Seattle.

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I will be back for more on other stuffs as time gets closer. =)

Ellen
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM

IMHO, unless you live in a remote location or tiny town, there isn't much of a view from SkyCity at night, which is why I suggested lunch on a clear, sunny day.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM

They used to serve breakfast at the Space Needle restaurant, which was the most reasonable alternative of all.

IMHO, however, the best views of Seattle can be had from the top of the Columbia Tower...it is the tallest building in Seattle, and there is an observation deck on one of the top floors that can be accessed for about $2.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Etta's, Lola's, and Dahlia Lounge are all Tom Douglas restaurants (i.e., same chef's menus). While I like each of them you might want to mix it up at bit.

I think you will enjoy your dinner at the Space Needle, personally speaking.

I would also recommend:

Il Bistro (in the Market), Assagio's (on 4th), Il Terrazo Carmine (Pioneer Square) for italian food.

Wann's or Saito's (on 2nd) if you like Japanese.

Steelhead Diner, Chez Shea, or 94 Stewart for innovative NW cuisine.

Cafe Campagne (lunch) or Campagne (dinner) for French.

Anthony's Pier 66/Bell Street diner, for seafood with a waterfront view.