Driving from East Glacier to Tetons

Old Jun 12th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from East Glacier to Tetons

Does anyone know where a good halfway overnight stopping point would be from East Glacier entrance to the Tetons?
Only place I found a room was at Mammouth in Yellowstone but that is a really long drive and quite pricey.
TIA!
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 02:42 PM

Bozeman Montana? Has just about all national chains. Approx. 4 hors away from Grand Teton.
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 01:33 AM

Bozeman is a possibility.

Helena another and there is a nice museum( Reminton's painting) in Helena and also the Capitol to visit. The Best Western is nice there...

Or you can drive early and going your way quitely with a stop at Virginia City to visit and then to do the whole road in one day...

And with a small detour, Butte is a final option..
Erik
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

No interest in visiting . Have to go directly to Grand Teton reservation but unless we go west it seems we have to drop into the North entrance of Yellowstone. I love Yellowstone but this trip was al about GNP then our yearly stay at jenny Lake Lodge. I will map Bozeman and Helena and see if they are on our route. Might have to MAKE them on our route!
Thank you!!!
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 11:30 AM

EJ, you really don't lose any time or miles by staying in Helena or Bozeman. You're basically looking at an 8 hour drive either way.

Helena is probably most directly on your route because you'll leave East Glacier and you can cut down on Hwy 287 through Choteau then hit I-15 through Helena then Hwy 69 from Boulder to catch 287 again and head down through Ennis. This is probably the route I would take.

Bozeman probably adds a total of 40 minutes to the trip. Then you would head south through Big Sky instead of Ennis.

I would check out both Bozeman and Helena and see which appeals most for your stay.
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

great info. Thanks!