Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving from Carmel to Incline Village on Wednesday (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-from-carmel-to-incline-village-on-wednesday-1101465/)

Patty May 2nd, 2016 06:26 PM

Driving from Carmel to Incline Village on Wednesday

We're planning to leave Carmel mid-morning and looking for a slightly more interesting route that doesn't add too much drive time. Is it worth detouring through the delta region? We've never been to this area. If so, any specific route or stops (maybe for lunch)? We've been to the Placerville/Auburn areas of Gold Country before. Thanks!

janisj May 2nd, 2016 06:38 PM

I haven't eaten lunch in the Delta for a few years -- hopefully MichelleY will see your post . . .

socaltraveler May 2nd, 2016 07:19 PM

It's a 3 hour drive from Carmel to Sacramento; if you leave mid-morning you should be in the area around lunchtime. Several nice restaurants along the river in Sac if that is what you mean by the delta.

Patty May 2nd, 2016 07:39 PM

I was thinking the Sacramento River Delta and it doesn't have to be for lunch. Just wondering if it's worth detouring from 80. We also haven't been to Grass Valley/Nevada City either. Which area is more interesting or scenic?

I'd welcome lunch suggestions in Sac too.

MichelleY May 2nd, 2016 08:39 PM

Go thru to Hwy 4 to Antioch. Then take Hwy160 thru Rio Vista, Isleton, Walnut Grove,Courtland. You would catch I-5 just outside of Sacramento in Freeport. Take I-5 up to 80.

Isleton has several restaurants, but I haven't been to any in years. We go to Guisti's in Walnut Grove often. Cash only. It is a landmark and is very popular. Typical Delta hangout. My husband usually takes his dad there on Wednesdays�� Two handsome gray haired gentlemen. One 90, the other 65.

Afterwards, you could cross the river to the west side and do some wine tasting at Bogle Vineyards or the Old Sugar Mill(home to 11 wineries).

This would be the most direct routing. Several ferries run on the sloughs, on Ryer Island, but they are not always running and are a more time consuming route.

janisj May 2nd, 2016 08:54 PM

Just a warning -- After the Delta and up the west side of the river (or east side for that matter) the afternoon commute traffic on I-5 through Sacramento and on I-80 all the way from the I-5 junction to well beyond Roseville will be really horrendous.

MichelleY May 2nd, 2016 09:45 PM

You need to be thru Sacto/Roseville by 3 to beat the commute traffic.

Patty May 3rd, 2016 06:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, MichelleY! And thank you both for the traffic warning. I was focused on timing through the Bay Area. Didn't even think farther ahead than that!

MichelleY May 3rd, 2016 07:01 AM

You are coming from the Monterey area? My sister lives in Salinas. I always go I-5 to 152.

socaltraveler May 3rd, 2016 10:35 AM

We have taken Michelle's routing through the delta; it really is a lovely drive. And her suggestions for wine tasting at Bogle or the The SugarMill are also spot on. Just remember to do this will add some time to your trip, leaving around 9 from Carmel should get you back on the 80 and out of Sacramento before 3.

Patty May 3rd, 2016 11:21 AM

Yes coming from the Monterey Peninsula. I've only gone the 101 to 680 route. 152 to 5 seems to add about 25 miles though it would allow us to skirt Bay Area traffic. My husband is also intrigued by Nevada City now. Decisions...

janisj May 3rd, 2016 11:30 AM

The Delta is really interesting -- but on a week day I'd definitely consider pressing on and getting through the Sacramento/western Placer county traffic/construction mess as early as possible - making Nevada City/Grass Valley a pretty attractive alternative. Then you could take Hwy 20 up the hill all the way to the I-80 junction just west of Cisco Grove -- a lovely drive.

I'm going up to Incline that way late next week.

MichelleY May 3rd, 2016 01:13 PM

What is really fun is taking the ferries on Ryer Island. In fact, the Tour of California is coming out this way in a few weeks. They will go right by my house!

Patty May 3rd, 2016 06:23 PM

OK sounds like I should save the delta for another trip when we're not so pressed for time. I'll save the info for later use. Thanks all!