Driving from CA to NJ end of MAY

Old May 3rd, 2020, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driving from CA to NJ end of MAY

Hi,
I will be moving back home to NJ at the end of May. I purchased a travel trailer for sleeping and will be traveling with 3 dogs. My question is which route would be best that has enough rest stops to park for the night. I drove here and took 80 across and it was very boring. I didn't pay attention to rest stops becuse we stayed in hotels at night. I have also driven the 20 and found the biggest weirdos across the southern portions. I won't go into detail but I don't want to drive that again. I thought about the 40 but not sure if there is enough rest stops and gas stations along the way. Can anyone speak on this? I should mention that this is not a vacation ride. Just looking for a way to drive across country to get home.

Thanks in advance for any input

Old May 4th, 2020, 02:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drive I70. There are rest stops on every interstate and driving across the middle of this great country IS boring because it's where we get our food!!
Look on the DOT site of the states you cross for the list of rest stops--or probably even the directory of the intererstate. I doubt any of us have noticed rest stops either.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...sclient=psy-ab
Old May 4th, 2020, 05:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Download the iExit App on your smartphone. It will give you the location of every rest stop and list what "facilities (motels, gas stations, truck stops, restaurants, etc.) at every exit along whichever Interstate you choose. If you turn on the "location" feature it will use your phone's GPS to will also how far those rest stops and exits from your current position on the highway. You can use it for any Interstate in the US.
Old May 4th, 2020, 06:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't tell us which part of California you are starting from. Only if you are starting from any place south of Bakersfield would I start on I-40 in Barstow. I-80 is very boring across Nebraska. I-70 is very boring across Kansas (driven them both). Please do a "shakedown" camping trip of at least 1 night away from home to make sure you and the trailer are ready for a minimum of 5 night trip across the country. Check all tires including the trailer (pressure and tread). Check the date of manufacture of the tires on the trailer. You might have bought an old trailer with old tires. It is very scary when you have a sudden blowout on a trailer tire.
If you are going to be keeping the trailer once you get to NJ, invest in new trailer tires if the ones on it are more than 6 years old even if they have lots of tread. There are rear view wireless cameras that go on the back of trailers. Avoid cutting anyone off when switching lanes.
Old May 4th, 2020, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drove I-40 between Oklahoma City and Flagstaff earlier this year. There are plenty of gas stations, but it's a good idea when you're on a long trip not to let your gas get below half empty. You never know what's up ahead. I didn't pay all that much attention to rest areas because we stayed in hotels overnight.

Also, going across the Texas panhandle, around Amarillo, was very windy. That could be a problem with a trailer.
Old May 5th, 2020, 03:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are restrictions on overnight parking in some rest areas on the highways of some states. Some Cracker Barrel’s and Walmart’s do allow overnights in designated areas if you ask permission.
Old May 5th, 2020, 06:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are several companies that transport pets long distance including citizenshipper.com The cost for moving the 3 dogs from California to New Jersey is probably less than you paid for the trailer. Your gas mileage goes down when pulling a trailer. The gas stations sometimes have a separate pump for people pulling trailers so that your trailer is not blocking a pump while you are filling. If you really love the tow vehicle you have, drive it solo and ship the dogs. Otherwise ship the dogs and fly or take the trains from CA to NJ. Yes Amtrak is still running and planes are flying less than half full.
Old May 5th, 2020, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An answer to a question not asked?
Old May 6th, 2020, 06:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
An answer to a question not asked?
Perhaps. Lets hope that the first time poster comes back for our thoughts before setting out. Welcome to Fodors dmalise!