Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving from Arizona to Florida. Need suggestions on what to see? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-from-arizona-to-florida-need-suggestions-on-what-to-see-791491/)

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 22nd, 2009 09:34 AM

Driving from Arizona to Florida. Need suggestions on what to see?

I did it. Got the car I always wanted, a totally restored, low mileage, 1974 Triumph TR6 :-D. We will be flying into Phoenix in late July to pick it up. We decided to take our time driving it back and see parts of the country that we have not seen before. For the most part we will stick to I-10.

We both have been to Arizona, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama before. We will spend couple of days in Phoenix and the surrounding area(not interested in Grand Canyon this time). We also made plans to stop in New Orleans, Biloxi(for little gambling), The Florida Panhandle.

Texas and New Mexico are the states we are not very familiar with. We do want to stop in San Antonio, but other than that we're open for suggestions. Not really interested in Dallas.

This will be about 14-15 day drive so 2-3 days per stop max.

Phoenix - 2 nights
New Mexico - ??? 1-2 nights
San Antonio - 2 nights
Any other interesting stop(s) in Texas - 2-3 nights
Biloxi - 1 night
Panhandle 1-2 nights

Please suggest some interesting stop(s) in Texas. We both love historic places, good restaurants, fun evening entertainment, etc....

SAnParis2 Jun 22nd, 2009 09:38 AM

I would certainly include Santa Fe & Taos (but you'd need to go I-40) in your plans. From there you could also visit Austin, which in my opinion, would be better than SA or any other options you may have available going the 'southern route'.

dfr4848 Jun 22nd, 2009 10:13 AM

This thread should be helpful

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-in-august.cfm

emalloy Jun 22nd, 2009 01:35 PM

I would spend only one night in Phoenix and head up to the Grand Canyon for the next night. Then head out in I-40 and stop at Painted Desert/Petrified forest then on to New Mexico. Maybe up to Santa Fe or at least a stop at Acoma Pueblo. Then drop down to 10, stopping at White Sands NP and Carlsbad Caverns and on your way into Texas.

Barblab Jun 22nd, 2009 03:34 PM

I hope the a/c in your dream car is really powerful as you are crossing a lot of hot desert. That being said I would stop at Carlsbad Caverns one night as it is interesing and also a cool break. Then stop at Fort Davis, TX one night and tour the restored old west fort and museum. Make sure the night you stop there is one with a Star Party at McDonald Observatory - really really amazing. (They have a good tour of the facility in the day time too.) San Antonio is a great stop and you can get lots of info doing a search here. If you enjoy museums Houston has a lot of interesting ones - art (several) Natural History (which is currently showing the Terra Cotta Soldiers), Holocast, Medical, Buffalo Soldiers, etc. NASA too makes an interesting stop. Have a great trip!

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 22nd, 2009 04:09 PM

Thanks everybody for great suggestions... keep them coming!

<b>emalloy</b>

Great suggestions but we're looking more for towns/cities stops.

<b>Barblab</b>

Didn't even think about NASA. Will definitely look into a stop in Houston. I'm kind of a NASA junkie. The Observatory also sounds interesting.

Believe it or not - no A/C. It's a convertible and we plan on doing most of the driving very early in the morning and try to get to our next destination no later than noon.....

<b>dfr4848</b>,

thanks for the link. Great info...

<b>SAnParis2</b>,

We really have our hearts set on SA. Will look into Taos and Santa Fe.

Thanks again!

Cranachin Jun 22nd, 2009 06:04 PM

Although the drive from Phoenix to Santa Fe and Taos is beautiful, and there is much to see and do in both, they are VERY much out of your way if you are going from Phoenix to Florida.

If you are looking for towns/cities as stops, then in New Mexico you should consider Silver City (about an hour NE of Lordsburg) or Las Cruces. I am assuming from your reply to emalloy that you are not as interested in White Sands or Carlsbad Caverns, both of which are fascinating to visit.

Silver City (http://www.silvercity.org/) has been written up in the New York Times at least twice in the last 3 years as a place to visit.

Las Cruces (http://www.lascrucescvb.org/) is the largest city in southern NM (second-largest in the state) and has lots of history as well as things to do.

Cranachin Jun 22nd, 2009 06:23 PM

By the way, Texas really is "miles and miles of miles and miles" - especially I-10. I think the biggest town along I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio (other than Kerrville, an hour from SA), is Fort Stockton, population about 8,000.

starrs Jun 22nd, 2009 06:34 PM

I have a couple of suggestions, but I can't stand the bolding of the <b>names.

overyonder Jun 22nd, 2009 07:07 PM

I was going to suggest Tombstone/Bisbee (Tucson) in AZ but you say you are looking more for suggestions in Texas. So that being the case, if it were me I'd take a little side trip and head into Austin (good eats and great music scene)

Stay cool!

Ronda Jun 22nd, 2009 07:49 PM

Isn't it going to be a little hot for Phoenix in a TR-6 in July? Does it have AC? Convertible? What if it breaks down? Can't parts be hard to get on the road? My girlfriend has an old TR-6 sitting in the driveway with low miles and well, I don't think I would be comfortable driving it that distance. I'm just a little concerned for you.

Ronda Jun 22nd, 2009 07:51 PM

Re-reading I see you don't have AC, etc.

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 22nd, 2009 08:06 PM

Thanks for the concern <b>Ronda</b>,

We'll be fine. As I said earlier, most of our drives will be ~6 or less hours and we will start @6am on the drive days.

The car was totally rebuild. I had an independent inspection done. I have been assured that it's in perfect condition by the inspector. It's a beauty.

If it breaks down, we will deal with it. I can't worry about that. I had many talks with the owner as well. He detailed everything that was done with the car. He send me copies of all the paper work, signed off by certified shops. The engine was rebuild from ground up.

Right now, I'm just excited... I can't wait. :-)

dfr4848 Jun 23rd, 2009 04:47 AM

Don't know if these appeal to you, but consider:

1. If you're stopping in Houston, the Houston Museum of National Science currently features the "Terra Cotta Warriors" from China. It's an amazing exhibit and well worth a visit. Part of the Museum has the Cockrell Butterfly Center, one of the largest in the US.

www.hmns.org

2. If you want to blow your budget on a first rate meal, consider the Inn at Dos Brisas, 90 min nothwest of Houston and just north of I 10. One of only 20 restaurants in US with a Mobil 5*. Veggies are grown on site and include 124 varieties of tomatoes, 24 kinds of carrots and 28 kinds of squashes. Beautiful grounds.

www.dosbrisas.com

3. Stark Museum and Mansion in Orange, TX (on I 10). Museum contains one of the largest collections of, among other things, Audubon's original prints, Frederic Remington scultures, Charles M Russell paintings, and Steuben glass (including the only complete set of their "United States in Crystal" honoring all the states). The 1880s 3 story mansion has been totally restored, complete with furnishings. Best part: it's all FREE.

www.starkmuseum.org

2 blocks away is the First Presbyterian Church. Whether your religious or not, it's an interesting historical struture - first public air conditioned building in the US (1912 - a/c furnished by a guy named Carrier). Building itself, completed in 1912, is totally built of Italian marble and granite and contains several amazing sets of now-priceless stained glass purchased at the 1893 NY World Exhibition. It's also free.

www.firstpresorange.com

cd Jun 23rd, 2009 05:20 AM

AAF
May I suggest you stay at Cape San Blas while in the Panhandle? I have a short trip report here on it if you are interested and if you like oysters, Indian Pass Raw Bar, about 10min away is wonderful!!!as is Boss Oyster in Apalachicola about 20 min away. We love this place, very uncrowded!

We rented a house on the beach but walked across the road to the bay side and toured this B&B. It is amall but very, very clean, the back yard is the bay and they offer complimentary kayaks for your use. http://www.capesanblasinn.com/

Cranachin Jun 23rd, 2009 07:18 PM

I agree with cd that the Cape San Blas/Port St. Joe/Apalachicola area would make a great stop in the Panhandle. This is "Old Florida" - the way the state used to be. I haven't been to Port St. Joe in a long time, but was in Apalachicola in December for a few hours and want to go back.

CSB/PSJ http://www.visitgulf.com/

Ap http://www.apalachicolabay.org/

owlwoman Jun 24th, 2009 05:18 AM

A suggestion for SA, instead of staying DT on the Riverwalk, which is very touristy, have a late lunch, walk a bit, see the Alamo, then drive 1/2 hour or so and stay in Gruene. Very cute town. The Hill Country betwee SA and Austin has a lot of nice towns, there's also Fredricksburg, both have a strong German background.

olesouthernbelle Jul 24th, 2009 09:16 AM

Other suggestions in the panhandle would be to check out Seaside, FL ( Sea Grove is a less expensive stay & only a mile away ). Destin, FL is a 15-20 minute ride from there & is a really beautiful beach - but 'busy'.

Or, check out Panama City, FL.

Ronda Jul 24th, 2009 01:15 PM

Let us know how it went when you get back!