Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving East Coast to West Coast (MA to OR)- Route Help!

Old Jan 15th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be making a (one way) cross country roadtrip leaving Massachusetts in March, stopping in Colorado Springs before making our way to west coast, north of San Francisco and south of the OR border.

There are two of us splitting driving, we aren't looking to stop at every attraction on the way but aren't on a strict timeline either- but let's not kid ourselves, it's a long drive, and I'm not super excited to go considerably out of the way for anything. However there's some cool stuff out there to see along the way, and I don't spend much time far from the coast(s).

We are taking an older truck, but last year (in a different vehicle) were caught traveling from TN to CA on 40 during the "Polar Vortex" and I'd really love to not recreate that experience- you've never seen 4" of snow cause so many massive accidents and slowww everything down so much. My guess is that a more northerly route will be better equipped to handle whatever snow (unless someone has a magic mirror or something?) there may be. But we aren't prepped for any mountain passing

Would love suggestions for routes and for interesting places to check out along the way. Are figuring on stopping a couple of nights between MA and CO, and another couple nights between CO and NorCal. Not expecting to make reservations more than a day or so ahead to allow for weather and whatnot. We have also spent a LOT of time recently on I-80 and would love to spend less time there New things are more exciting.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That "more northerly route" may actually GET more snow than something further south. How are you planning to get from C-Springs west????
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And BTW, are you familiar with the term "ground blizzard?"
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I'm well aware the northerly route has a better chance of more snow, my problem last year was that the really very small amount of snow knocked all of Arkansas and Oklahoma flat on their asses and stuck us in a hotel for three days.. it was NOT a substantial amount of snow, and my question was if it might not make more sense to risk the route that might see snow, but also be more equipped and willing to efficiently and quickly treat the roads. I grew up in the hills in the New England- snow doesn't scare me, idiots who have no idea how to drive in it and roads that aren't being appropriately maintained do

None of our trip has been planned, and I am looking for suggestions for the entire coast-coast trip. Thanks
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 11:57 AM

On the first leg, I would do I90 to I70.

Stops:
In Oneida NY http://weirdus.com/states/new_york/r...urch/index.php

You'll pass by the Boxing and Wrestling Hall of Fames if either of those sports interest you.

I'd then stop at Niagara Falls, simply because I've never been. That's probably where I'd spend my first night.

In Cleveland, I'd hit up the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before jumping on I71 south to I70.

I'd stop in St. Louis to visit the Arch and maybe take a Mississippi River Boat Ride if they operate that time of year.

In Kansas City I'd visit the WWI Museum.

Then I'd speed across Kansas and in to Colorado Springs. That entire drive from Mass to CO should be pretty flat.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 12:02 PM

I'm not sure what I'd do for the second half of the trip. I *think* I70 is worse (winter weather wise) than I80. You'll really need to pay attention to weather forecasts and be adaptable. I'd also have chains for my tires. Better safe than sorry. Make sure you have blankets, water, and snacks in the car. Don't be in a rush, spend two nights in a hotel if you need to. Just be safe.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 01:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Which part of I-80 are you trying to avoid? Driving across Nebraska on I-80 is just as boring as driving across Kansas on I-70 IMO.
If you get to Cheyenne on I-80 and the pass is closed to Rawlins, drive back south to Denver (I-25) to take I-70.
On I-70 stop at Glenwood Springs. Just north of the Colorado River is the world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool. I saw someone swimming in it from the window of the train in December 2013.
Are you sure you need the truck? Riding the train is fun and you don't have to worry much about the weather. I'm leaving a lot of my driving to Amtrak nowadays.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 04:32 AM

Ah, yes, sitting in a Southern motel, waiting for the highway to reopen, and only the food at the truck stop next door. Or grabbing a paperback as they shut the airport newsstand in Des Moines where I spent a couple of days iced in. Or a relative iced in in St Louis, fortunately at a Ritz Carlton.

You get the point. You have been through it. As rizzo says above, in early March this is going to be a trip you make up every day, maybe very other day. So far this year, I believe everything E-W except I-10 has been closed at least once. It took a friend 7 hours last week from Providence to Hoboken, so you may not even get out of New England!
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 01:54 PM

Get a device,- Ipad, Android, Iphone etc and check the weather each day. If it looks like trouble a couple of days ahead, change your route, drop south or head north, 80,70, 40 10, there will probably be one that is fine and there are plenty of things to see along each route. I would probably choose 70 and avoid Chicago but that's because when I've gone through it it always had construction and traffic at a crawl, so I'm biased.

Download WAZE on your device to get real time traffic, like tie ups, construction, police, etc. along your route.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 03:02 AM

Good advice from emalloy.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 07:09 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
If you ask 6 people, you'll get 6 different opinions.
If this was my road trip, here's what I'd do.

No stop drive via Google maps between Boston and Redding =
3078 miles, 44 hours
Guesstimate = 500 miles a day = 6 days of travel

Here's my route -
1st stop in PA -
Amish country or Fallingwater
Boston to Fallingwater = 561 miles about 8+ hours of driving
Then I'd add a day to see Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob - or spend the day driving around Amish countryside and/or going to Gettysburg

2nd stop in Kentucky -
498 miles to Mammoth Cave NP (doesn't matter what the weather is above)
Or do some of the Bourbon Trail
Either way, I'd spent all or most of the day seeing something in the area

3rd stop in Arkansas -
434 miles to Little Rock
I'd see the Clinton Library in Little Rock or the free (thanks to the Walton's Walmart $) Crystal River museum in Bentonville. I'd also want to see the cathedral made of 1x4s, so I'd go see Thorncrown Chapel in Eureka Springs.
Definitely a day to see and do stuff and maybe even sit in some hotsprings in Hot Springs.

My next stop would be Santa Fe -
871 miles and about 12.5 hours of driving
That means a stop in between somewhere or a half-day of driving with one overnight.
That's usually Amarillo for me, because it's a good overnight stop. That would be about an 8 hour drive from Little Rock and 4 more hours to Santa Fe.
I'd hang around Santa Fe/ Taos/ etc for at least a day.

Now I'd check the weather. The next stop could be Las Vegas and those last two segments would be 643 to LV and 633 to Redding.

But I'd probably head north to Durango, if the weather is good.
A little more than four hours to Durango, and that drive over high desert is one of my favorite drives ever. I've done it many times in winter and I just love the drive. I love Durango and I love Mesa Verde NP and I'd return - again.

A little less than 4 hours to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. I'd definitely make a stop and try to get a room INSIDE the park. If I can't, I'd leave Durango in the morning, have lunch at the Cameron Trading Post (just outside on the east) and have their Navajo fry bread again. I'd spend the afternoon in the canyon. I'd be at the counter at one of the hotels at 4pm to see if rooms were released (if I couldn't book one before) and if not, head out of the park.

It's over 900 miles and 13 hours to Redding, so I'd spend the night somewhere on the road.

That routing is 3837 miles and 58 hours of driving.
The straight shot was 3078 miles, 44 hours.
800 more miles and 14 more hours of driving, but I'd be seeing things I wanted to see. I'd also add in 5 or 6 extra days to see things along the way.
That 6 days of 500 miles a day would be about an 11-12 day trip.
I love road trips.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 07:16 AM

Starrs... You need to stop in Colorado springs....where would you put that?
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 07:46 AM

I THOUGHT I read that Colorado Springs was just an idea and not a requirement. But now I don't see that.

So, scratch my plan.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 07:54 AM

I like your plan though..wanna go on a trip?
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 08:01 AM

Sure!