Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving Directions/Times and Trails to visit at GC, Bryce, and Zion (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-directions-times-and-trails-to-visit-at-gc-bryce-and-zion-416762/)

travelgirl12 Mar 29th, 2004 06:24 PM

Driving Directions/Times and Trails to visit at GC, Bryce, and Zion

Planning on driving from Vegas to North Rim (staying at Grand Canyon Lodge for 1 night) then heading to Bryce (staying at Ruby's for 1 night)then to Zion ( staying at Desert Pearl for 2 nights). Just wasn't sure the best route to take and how long of a drive it would be to each place. Also, if anyone can recommend some good hiking trails. My husband and I are in pretty good physical shape and exercise quite a bit, so we could handle some tougher trails if it's worth it! Thanks.

utahtea Mar 29th, 2004 08:27 PM

You're covering a lot of ground for such a short time.

From Las Vegas to N. Rim take I-15, hwy 9 to Hurricane, Hwy 59 to Fredonia and Alt 89 to Jacob's Lake and the N. Rim Parkway down to the N. Rim. It's about 265 miles from Las Vegas to the N. Rim but the last 75 miles are slow driving. Plan on about 6 1/2 hours. Unless you start at daylight, you're not going to have much hiking time.

From N. Rim, take Alt 89 to Kanab, Utah, then head north on Hwy 89 to Hwy 12 to Bryce. It's about 160 miles from N. Rim Visitor Center to Bryce Vistor Center. Plan on it taking about 5 hours to drive. That doesn't give you much time at N. Rim either.

From Bryce to Zion the fastest way is back on Hwy 12 to Hwy 89 going south to Mt. Carmel Jct. then east on Hwy 9. It's only 87 miles from Bryce Visitor Center to Zion Visitor Center but plan on 2 hours driving time.

You will have time to do the Navajo - Queen's Garden loop in Bryce before heading to Zion.

I've never done Angels Landing in Zion but I hear that's the one to do.

Utahtea

placeu2 Mar 30th, 2004 05:48 AM

I did that exact trip last summer in the opposite direction and stayed the same number of nights. To make the most of it, getting up bright and early is recommended.

I will do Angels Landing in Zion next time for sure. We did Canyon Overlook and Hidden Canyon in the same day and loved it. Had time to mix in Emerald Pools and Riverwalk/Narrows as well. You need to be OK with heights and edges to do Hidden Canyon and Angels Landing.

Bryce and GC are higher elevation and more challenging to hike if you are from someplace near sea level. We did not hike Bryce (other than around the rim) but did do the horse ride into the canyon which was great. This is the one that leaves from Bryce Lodge, NOT the one from Ruby's. I would recommend that you try to get lodging at Bryce Lodge if you can, just keep calling, they get cancellations. Make plans to see Bryce at sunrise if at all possible. Sunset is good but sunrise is better.

At GC we did Point Imperial and one other near it which were easy strolls really. Everyone does Bright Angel Point which is right at the Lodge and has great scenery. Given your travel schedule, there may not be time for much here.

It is a busy 4 days but my family loved it. Leave Vegas early as Utahtea suggested. Have fun!

travelgirl12 Mar 30th, 2004 03:44 PM

Thank you both for your suggestions. My husband doesn't know it yet, but I am planning on getting an early start each morning to make the most of our time at each destination. Your advice should make it easier to plan. Any advice on the park passes needed to enter? Thanks.

utahtea Mar 30th, 2004 08:08 PM

travelgirl2,

The National Park Pass is $50 and is good for one full year from the month you purchase it. Entance fees for the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion are $20 each so you will save money by purchasing the pass and hopefully you will find other parks to use it on during the next 12 months.

You can purchase the pass at the first park you visit or you can purchase them online. They start the year the first time you use it.

https://buy.nationalparks.org/default.asp?ref=nps

Utahtea

karens Mar 31st, 2004 04:01 AM

My favorite hike is the Narrows in Zion. It's a good half day hike - you hike upstream, in the stream, and the farther up you go, the walls of the canyon start to get closer. One of the best hikes we've ever done. In Bryce we liked the Navajo/Queens Garden loop. Karen

sunshinenrain Mar 31st, 2004 09:44 AM

We just went in Sept and it was one of the most awesome trips that we've done. At Zion NP, I would definitely recommend Angels Landing. We hiked it and the view at the top is spectacular. If you are afraid of heights though, this isn't a good hike for you. As you get right towards the top, you are literally climbing up a rock wall, holding onto metal railings with sheer drops on either side of you. It was fun! I also agree with Karens about the Narrows. We hiked part of it, but wished that we had more time to explore further. Make sure you check out the night hike with the ranger at the North Rim. The view of the canyon at night is awesome and it's surprising how much you can see. We also hiked the North Kabib Trail and it was a tough trek. We made it to Roaring Springs and then turned around. The canyon always drew us in further to see more, but that trek out of the canyon is really steep and not to mention all uphill. Enjoy your trip! Wish I was there again.

njgator76 Apr 13th, 2004 07:51 AM

My wife and I are doing a similar trip Memorial Day weekend? (crowded?) Getting in to Vegas at 1030 am, Friday and will be back in Vegas to check in for the week on Monday, Memorial Day some time. Want to see Zion, Bryce, NR and Hoover Dam in that 3 night, 4 day span. Is it wise to spend 2 nights in Bryce? Night at NR? Night at Zion? Getting stressed on how to break up the trip. We'll do at most 3 hiking trails (we're not experienced hikers). Is all this possible? Help!!

utahtea Apr 13th, 2004 09:05 PM

I would recommend one night at each place. Do you realize the mileage and driving times involved in getting from place to place? Many of these roads can be slow driving and over the holiday there are going to be a lot of people on the road!

Las Vegas to Bryce Canyon is 245 miles and will take about 5 hours of driving.

Bryce to N. Rim is 160 miles and will take 4 1/2 to 5 hours of driving.

N. Rim to Zion is 125 miles and will take 4 - 4 1/2 hours of driving.

Zion to Las Vegas is 165 miles and will take almost 3 hours of driving time.

If you have some extra days in the area, I would suggest spending either an extra night in Bryce or Zion.

Memorial Day is going to be crowded. If you don't have reservations yet, then where you stay might depend on where you can find lodging!

Bryce and N. Rim are both at high elevations and if your not use to hiking then you might want to stay on the rims and just walk along those paths. Zion is in a canyon and so I would recommend the Riverside Walk which is a very easy and pretty level 2 mile round trip hike. Also pretty easy & short is Weeping Rock.

If you want more responses, you probably will be better off starting your own thread and asking these questions.

Utahtea

utahtea Apr 13th, 2004 09:10 PM

BTW, my last post was to njgator76;)