Yosemite Bug vs. Tenaya Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a family of 4 visiting Yosemite in late June, largely to do day hikes (our kids are 11 and 13 and good hikers). We're trying to decide whether to stay 6 nights at the Yosemite Bug or 3 at the Bug and 3 at Tenaya Lodge (which is more than triple the price). We are willing to spring for Tenaya if staying in a different location for those 3 days will make it much easier to visit places we'll want to go, but it's not worth it just for the luxury. Any advice? We have reservations at both places so the question is which one to cancel.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally wouldn't stay at the BUG. It is nearly 40 miles and between 60 and 90 minutes from the Valley.

Tenaya Lodge isn't that much better - about 35 slow miles from the Valley - a little over an hour. But it is only about 20 minutes from Wawona which is good.

Basing in either one for 6 days wouldn't be my choice --but especially not the Bug. A night or two if nothing else was available-- but not for more than that.

Is anything available in El Portal? That would be my choice - 3 at El Portal and 3 at Tenaya Lodge.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 03:38 AM

Wawona best and cheapest go for that

Yosemite.com

Bug buggy and far away

Tenaya way too pricy

Shiloh Inn in Oakhurst great family suites from $59

For when there last a few minutes from the south gate

Free yummy Belgian waffles for breakfast yum

Had a great time
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 03:48 AM

Better bidding.com for PL Hotwire hotels in Oakhurst best

For price but peak season prices high littl availability

Of yours Tenaya for sure if u cannot find something

Quickly in Oakhurst
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a YARTS bus stop at the foot of the BUG Hostel driveway. There are 2 bedroom cabins with a shared bathroom at the BUG hostel. There is also a simple restaurant at the hostel if you don't want to bring your own food to cook in the kitchen.
I like hostels but many people do not even though they have never stayed in more than one. HI Hostels have higher standards than most other hostels. Link to YARTS- http://www.yarts.com/
If you are coming from the south, consider Oarhurst.
You seem to pay more to be closer to the Valley and even more to stay in the Valley.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"You seem to pay more to be closer to the Valley and even more to stay in the Valley."

Well -- yes. That extra two hours a day driving or riding on a bus saves one lots of money -- you get what you pay for.

And Oakhurst? It is an even worse base than the Bug since it is 50 miles and nearly 2 hours from the Valley.

(Bit confusing there quo - how is the Bug too far away but even more distant Oakhurst is OK??)
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM

Six nights in Yosemite is quite a long time. This year, so much of the upper park trails will still be inacessible because of snow, I'd consider spending a couple of nights in Sequoia/Kings Canyon as the hiking is at lower altitude.

In a year when the Tuolumne Meadows trails are dry and snow-free, six nights might be OK, but not this year.

I'd also chose Tenaya Lodge. Much nicer surroundings and more pleasant evening atmosphere for the kids.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 05:45 PM

The YNP facebook page is pretty optimistic abut getting Tioga Pass opened asap sound like maybe by the end of next week. We'll see though.

I love Tenaya Lodge and wouldn't hesitate to stay there to explore the south end of the park. Kids will love it too. 2 pools, playground, bike rentals, etc.

Don't think I'd stay in the Bug. Keep checking www.yosemitepark.com for a cancelation at he Lodge at the Falls or Yosemite View http://www.yosemiteresorts.us/yosemi...odge/index.htm

Also look into Yosemite West.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM

I'd vote for Tenaya also. And I think that 6 nights would be fabulous. You'll have time to fully explore Yosemite Valley and the south end of the park - with time for the high country if it opens. If not, south of Yosemite is Bass Lake.