Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving Dawson City, Yukon to Fairbanks, Alaska

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 06:48 PM
Patrick

Is the drive possible or worthwhile from Dawson City to Fairbanks, Alaska? When I try to do it on a trip planner it always sends me back down to Whitehorse. We are looking at doing this trip next year in late June. I have gotten mixed opinions on how to get to Fairbanks driving from Edmonton, Alberta.

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 10:41 PM
vew

The drive is possible and very beautiful. Your car needs to be in very good condition as the road is not all that great. It is about two days from Dawson City to Fairbanks. If you do the side trip to Eagle, you need to plan at least an extra day.
One caveat, however: it is possible that the Alaska portion of the road may not be maintained by late June. You'll need to inquire via phone or e-mail to the ALaska DOT in Tok to see if the road is open. This is the first year that they plan to let it open by itself without removing the snow to hurry it along.
Good luck!

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Nancy

If you are planning on doing ANY driving in the Yukon or Alaska, please pick up a book entitled 'The Milepost.' It has excellent maps as well as current road conditions, towns along the way with sightseeing, restaurants, gas stations, etc. It is essential. I drove about 1,000 miles from Skagway to Fairbanks to Anchorage to Homer a few years ago. Milepost was right on as far as the information is concerned.

I drove through Whitehorse along Kluane National Park, which was gorgeous. I didn't make it up to Dawson City.

Given the opportunity, I'd stop again at a neat place called Rika's Roadhouse in Delta Junction. Also, I suggest the trip to Chena Hot Springs from Fairbanks, stopping at Tack's General Store for pie. One of my personal favorites.

Good luck and if I can answer any other questions, please email me.