Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving conditions around Greenville, Maine (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-conditions-around-greenville-maine-938860/)

snorklesue Jun 12th, 2012 01:05 PM

Driving conditions around Greenville, Maine

We plan to drive from Boston to Greenville, ME-spend two nights at Chateau Moosehead, then drive up to Quebec City. The map shows little back roads after we get off 95. Does anyone know what the driving conditions are like around there in the summer? Thanks

Ackislander Jun 13th, 2012 01:05 AM

Well, you won't have to worry about traffic!

If this isn't the far end of nowhere, it is just south of there.

I haven't been to Moosehead Lake but have been east of there.

Should be beautiful, though very different across the border where it will be more civilized.

In general gas is a good bit cheaper in the US, so fill up before you go. You may not find a lot of English speakers on your way to Quebec City, though they study it in school.

Congratulations on a nicely different vacation: woods and lakes combined with one of the best cities in North America. Enjoy!

DonTopaz Jun 13th, 2012 03:36 AM

Many of the "little back roads" in that part of Maine are private roads owned by logging companies. Most/all of them can be used by the public, but you could be in for a s-l-o-w ride if you find yourself behind a logging truck. Also, be aware that you can only cross into Quebec at an official border crossing stations.

BlairHillInn Jun 13th, 2012 08:49 AM

No worries. I suggest exiting I-95 at the Newport Exit. That gets you to Greenville in the easiest, quickest way. The roads the entire way are nicely paved and maintained two-lane roads (meaning one lane each direction). Greenville is a wonderful small town with shops and restaurants seated at the southern tip of Moosehead Lake. Chalet Moosehead is a very nice motel right in town. The drive from there to Canada will continue to be on well maintained, paved roads. Never will you need to be on dirt roads or logging roads. Greenville is a one hour's drive from the border. If you are able to stay in Greenville longer than one day you would be glad you did. It is stunning here. We have an inn and restaurant overlooking the lake and most of our guests wish they had planned to stay longer but simply didn't know how magnificent the Moosehead Lake region is. We hope you enjoy your trip!

snorklesue Jun 13th, 2012 12:46 PM

Thanks for the good information! I never thought about official border crossings, but see on the map that there is one where we plan to cross on 201. We had planned to get off 95 at Newport and take 11 (7 and 23) to 15 (6) into Greenville. Glad it is the right decision. I have wanted to go to Moosehead Lake for a long time and know we should stay longer. We'll check it out this time and plan to come back for a longer stay with the grandkids.