Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving Cedar Island to Kitty Hawk NC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-cedar-island-to-kitty-hawk-nc-706539/)

scurry May 20th, 2007 06:54 AM

Driving Cedar Island to Kitty Hawk NC?

I've done a quick search through the 'outer banks' archives & didn't see this directly addressed so I thought I'd ask the (hopefully not stupid) question:

Tomorrow (Monday), we are thinking of taking the Cedar Island ferry to Ocracoke then the ferry to Hatteras then driving the state routes all the way up to the Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk area.

Questions: Can you easily accomplish this in a single day? Would you want to? Approx how long would it take? What should I expect the traffic/road conditions to be like? How much loading/unloading time should I plan for the ferries? Any other tips?

TIA!
Steve

HKP May 20th, 2007 07:02 AM

Not a stupid question, but not all that easy to answer precisely.

Yes, this is doable in a day, but hard to say exactly how long it will take you. I assume you have reservations for the Ocracoke ferry -- if not, you might check into it. Monday's aren't the heaviest days, but you'll be in the stand-by line, and under some circumstances that means getting there early or being prepared to be postponed to the next ferry. The loading doesn't take that long (they hustle -- maybe 15 min at most?), though. The ride is 90 min. or so.

The Hatteras ferry is no-reservations and just a little thingy across a narrow inlet.

Do be aware that the recent not-quite-a-hurricane storm eroded areas around NC12 (the only "state route) along the area Avon to Rodanthe. I haven't heard that it's closed, but you might want to find a random phone number for a realtor in those areas and just call and ask.

Enjoy the ride (hope you have reservations for accommodation in Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, or wherever).

Dukey May 20th, 2007 07:11 AM

The loading and unloading times for both ferries are fairly short; it is the waiting that can be consuming.

Once you arrive on Ocracoke unles you want to stop and sightsee it is a short drive to the other end of the island for the ferry over to Hatteras (Village) which takes 30 minutes or so.

The road, Route 12 North to Nags Head, etc., is two-lanes. It is definitely open.

The most traffic usually occurs on weekends in season when cottages are given up/taken over.

I would advise driving with your lights ON.

Are you planning to stop in Buxton to view the lighthouse or driving straight through?

scurry May 21st, 2007 01:12 PM

Thank you for your advice. We did make it.

A long day due to 3 hours of ferry rides, but very do-doable and perfect weather.

Driving with your lights on is a great idea. As is making a reservation on the Cedar Island-Ocracoke ferry.

The roads were fine.

Off to explore Kill Devil Hills. Thanks again.