Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving Boston to Maine for lobster dinner this weekend

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Coco

Any suggestions on a great place to get a lobster dinner with a view on the coast?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:02 AM
mimi taylor

Coco,It's not a coast view but a nice view over looking the creek and you watch the passing boats.It's "The lobster Pier at Chauncy creek". You walk down a ramp and sit along the water's edge under the sun or in an enclosed area on wooden benches. You may bring anything they don't sell, for me that means french bread , cheese, olives, wine, beer. Say hi to Jean and Ron, the nice couple who own this charming spot.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Lobsterman

Just head over to the Red Lobster.
Be careful you don't hit any of the pick-ups in the parking lot

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:28 AM
mare

www.yorkharborinn.com

You will not be disappointed!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:41 AM
sn

Why not just drive up to Rockport, MA--the Lobster Pool is wicked good and has a great view of the Cape Ann coast.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Marge

I'll try not to butcher this too badly...there is a town about an hour north of the state line called Ogunquit. They have a nice shoreline walking train that runs along the edge of the water for a mile or two. Anyway, if you drive to the entrance of this "park", there is a great little lobsert restaurant that sits just off of the shore.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it would fit your need.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Anne

I believe Marge is referring to The Marginal Way; one of the restaurants at the end in Perkins Cove is Barnacle Billy's.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Jen

Coco, I just had Maine Lobster last Monday in Portland. It's quite a bit touristy, but if you go to downtown Portland to Old Port, there is a big floating boat called Dimillo's. They serve a lazy man's lobster for $21.00. It comes de-shelled and in butter, all you have to do is eat it! Yes, it's touristy, but everyone has to go once, I'm sure there are a lot of local spots that are cheaper. Dimillo's isn't known for a local hangout, or great food other than the lazy man's lobster. Besides, Old Port has some great shopping and art galleries so there's much to do and see. HOpe you get up there!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Lindsay

Your best bet from the listing here anyway is Chauncy Creek. Barnicle Billy's isn't what it used to be, and DeMillo's--well, I can't believe it's even still open.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:32 AM
mainegirl

I am from Maine & I recommend the Snow Squall in South Portland.
http://www.snowsquall.com/