Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving & Discovering Hawaii : MAUI & MOLOKAI Guide Book

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have searched the web over for this book, but no one has it, not even Amazon. I'm guessing that it is out of print?? Does anyone know where I might find a copy?

Thanks,

DD
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:09 AM

A quick search on google.com brought up these sites:
http://www.maui-info.com/driveanddiscover.html
http://www.mauihi.com/mhstore.htm
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've Googled it too, but almost every link leads back to Amazon (those included that you showed) and Amazon is out of stock on it. I've found one used book store in Cambaridge, MA which shows on Alibris as having it. I've called them and they are looking but I've not heard back from them.

It's listed on every Maui site as a great book, if just for the photos, but it's impossible to find it.

Thanks,

DD
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

I just found it on line at a place in HI (Waipahu, Hawaii ) and I will call them later this afternoon to see if they actually do have it in stock.

It must be a fantastic book if it is so highly recommended by most organizations in HI, yet is impossible to find!

Thanks,

DD
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 09:59 AM

From the coconut wireless, the book is currently being revised and the new edition was scheduled for printing sometime ago. The previous edition is being sold down. I will see what I can find out about the expected date.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

I hate to put you to too much trouble Here_Today, I went ahead and ordered the last edition from a book store in Cambridge, MA who had it in stock, used.

But, I saw where there was supposed to be a 2004 edition soon. I do wonder what happened.

Thanks,

DD
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 03:58 PM

About 3 months ago, I order this book and the Oahu,Honolulu & Waikiki edition from Amazon. Both books are incredible...the pictures are awesome and the maps are great, too..I have the 2004 editions. The books state www.discoveringhawaii.com as their web site. Good luck in locating them...a great investment..
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:02 PM

I just went to the website I mentioned above, and both books are available!!!(www.discoveringhawaii.com)happy reading.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:15 PM

No trouble, ddcnga. I have many clients in publishing here on the islands, and I have a meeting with someone later today who could tell me if the new edition is in the distribution channels yet. Authors, publishers and distributors of island-related books keep pretty close tabs on who's doing what when, even the mainland publishers. They all have to share a fairly small market.

But, looks like no worries since you found the book afterall.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Actually, Pam, if you follow that link all the way to Amazon, the book is NOT available.

I was hoping to find the 2004 edition, but ended up with the last one (2002).

Thanks,

DD
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Sorry--I was so excited to see it pop up on the website that I and didn't follow the complete trail to Amazon...Next time, I'll be more thorough. I'm sure your version will be just as enjoyable as the 2003/2004 that I have..
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

I found the LAST copy of this book available on book sites on the Internet. Even the bookstores in HI did not have a copy!

ANYWAY, the book arrived. IT IS FABULOUS! It is so informative and if you are a photography buff, it is a must have, as it gives great locations (indications) of beautiful photo ops. The photography in the book is breathtaking and I feel the way it is laid out (if you are visually oriented-I am) is better than some of the other books I've bought (MR and the Moon guide, Top 10 Maui).

There's supposed to be a new edition coming out, but no one seems to know when it will be released,exactly. This version (2002) is stunning, so I'm quite pleased regardless.

DD